Bike racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmaskell

Car
C 300 DE
Hi all

I have a C 300de estate on a 2020 plate

Im looking for a rear hanging bike rack for 3 backs

Seems halfords only recommend the Thule outhanging bar but its £300!

Thule OutWay Hanging 3-Bike Rack​

Anyone had any joy with any other racks?

Thanks

If I'm carrying bikes on the back, I only trust the Thule racks that go on a towbar.

Non tow bar racks I would look at Saris as among the best, however anything not on a towbar or the ones that go on a 4x4 spare wheel are a wobbly mess. Without a towbar will also be trickier to sort lights and number plate situation.

I have Thule 591 roof mount cycle carriers and used to carry 4 bikes on the roof. Very simple and safe to use. Not towbar mounted clearly but a sound alternative if you are able to lift the bikes onto the roof.

Thanks James i intend to tow at the same time so tow bar mounted version not an option im afraid. Also dont want to invest in roof bars so seems only option is back window mounted

Thanks James i intend to tow at the same time so tow bar mounted version not an option im afraid. Also dont want to invest in roof bars so seems only option is back window mounted
Ah ok so towing at the same time. I'd say the hanging rack option is the best then.

What bikes are you expecting to carry? Non conventional frame builds can be problematic with through frame racks.

There are also suction or vacuum mount bike carriers to consider. Seasucker is a brand name (£££) but ebay has generic suction bike mounts.

Personally I would be putting them on the roof, and even more so if towing. As well as not wanting the weight of three bikes to be relying on straps and glass, it’s also adding even more weight behind the rear axle.

Popping them on the roof will mean that straps and glass aren’t keeping the three bikes in check, and will shift considerable weight in front of the rear axle which will improve both comfort and stability.

If the cost of a roof mounted system is too great, pick up a second hand set of bars and carriers. Most have been used once or twice before the car is sold, and so could be a relative bargain.

If you’re towing (a caravan ?) can’t you put them in the caravan??
Some do, but the weight can lead to stability issues, and securely strapping them down without damaging the inside of the caravan isn't easy …especially three adult bikes.

Some do, but the weight can lead to stability issues, and securely strapping them down without damaging the inside of the caravan isn't easy …especially three adult bikes.
Really? 3 adult biles won’t weigh more than 26 kilos surely?
Everyday is a school day I suppose.

It will probably be fine, most of the time. But that day that you have to swerve, brake hard, hit a pot hole, put a bit extra inside the caravan/trailer, load the caravan/trailer poorly, carry four passengers, hit a greasy patch of road, drive through a crosswind. or are pulled over spot-checked on a weighbridge then it might be less fine.

In isolation it doesn’t sound much, it’s when you factor in the other weights, their positions relative to the rear axle, and what the car, axle and towbar are rated to carry that it could cause an issue. Even if below the safe/rated limits, distributing the load between the axles will help stability. Where the weight is plays as much of a role as how heavy the weight is.

Three reasonable road bikes may add up to 26kg but if you talk MTB (or BSO) you could be looking at more like 42kg.
I have a three bike carrier on the back of my caravan, whilst I will carry three carbon road bikes I will only ever carry 2 MTBs with anything else on the car roof. I have NEVER had stability issues despite all the scare stories about all the weight being at the back and talk about "polar moment of inertia". Just drive appropriately.

I have a three bike carrier on the back of my caravan, whilst I will carry three carbon road bikes I will only ever carry 2 MTBs with anything else on the car roof. I have NEVER had stability issues despite all the scare stories about all the weight being at the back and talk about "polar moment of inertia". Just drive appropriately.

Driving carefully certainly helps but things like the rear overhang of the car (distance from tow ball to back axle), suspension setup, overall weight match, etc. all play significant parts in stability too. If these are all favourable then weight distribution & noseweight can become less important. Also of course virtually all caravans have 'stabilising' (friction damping) hitches nowadays, and later caravans often have more sophisticated stability aids (like AL-KO ATC) operating through the brakes as well - these can potentially mask loading issues. There also seems to be a trend for manufacturers to lower the basic moments of inertia ex-factory by locating things like gas bottles/battery/spare wheel close to the axle (e.g. our current caravan has no front locker).

Well I have seen bikes loaded on the roof and they are very stable and easy to load unload,not a great lover of bikes on the rear of cars,I always get past them as quick as I can,all that said,we have a 22reg owner of a 220e finding that towing will remove the warranty from the car,as you have a 20 reg do you have the 3 year warranty,just a thought.

Roof carriers are OK on cars but more of a problem with tall vehicles like SUVs and MPVs unless you have very light bikes :) You can get ones where you load the bike 'flat' (level with the roof) then it flips upright on gas struts, but expensive!

Roof carriers are OK on cars but more of a problem with tall vehicles like SUVs and MPVs unless you have very light bikes :) You can get ones where you load the bike 'flat' (level with the roof) then it flips upright on gas struts, but expensive!
I agree they’re not easy to get up on top of an ML for example. Lifting so high is one aspect, but not being able to easily see where the carrier meets roof bars is also a pain - made even harder if bikes ar Eloy yes in board.

Jeep used to sell the type which lift using gas struts for a relatively reasonable price, I would have bought some had I not just bought 8 carriers and 4 roof bars from MB! Doh.

Fortunately on my EQC I have the side steps so can use that to help get the bikes on the roof bars. It does help that Thule setup is so simple to use.

If going onto the roof, the easy solution to getting them up there is to use a foldable step from B&Q or similar. Seems like overkill but makes it much easier to position each bike. These steps fold away to almost nothing.

Putting three bikes on a Saris Bones 3 is fine for short distance and sub-50 speeds, but challenging above that. Remember that its just holding on to the edge of a bootlid that was never intended to be stressed.

Last time I used a roof carrier (Thule) was on a Vauxhall Sintra people carrier, and IIRC that was a step-ladder job.

Sintra.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom