Biker Pulls Wheely Overtaking Me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That gave me a chuckle!

I always thought it might be to slosh the oil round the engine a bit more, to improve lubrication.

Pete
You sound sceptical. I was being serious.

I don't believe you - that's almost as nonsensical as doing it to maintain the tyre profile! I think any biker who claims to be doing it to increase their visibility is just saying that because they realise they look stupid doing it! Apart from anything else, anyone doing it is hardly concentrating on what's going on in front of them, what with the bike swerving around so much....!

Safety measure my eye!

Pete

Bike mags and training used to recommend it for increasing chances of being seen as with headlight on, the lateral movement of the light is easier seen and, it gives a greater impression of speed which discourages cars from pulling out into the biker's path.
I still do it in a car if I see someone waiting to pull out of a side turning and I'm not convinced I've been seen. It catches their attention.

. It's indulged in by the same sort of riders that you see weaving from side to side, at 30 mph....'to get some heat into the tyres'....look at me, look at me....:rolleyes:

Pete

I do that in a car at the beginning of a journey too. In my case I'm checking I haven't a slow puncture.

I don't believe you - that's almost as nonsensical as doing it to maintain the tyre profile! I think any biker who claims to be doing it to increase their visibility is just saying that because they realise they look stupid doing it! Apart from anything else, anyone doing it is hardly concentrating on what's going on in front of them, what with the bike swerving around so much....!

Safety measure my eye!

Pete
I defer to your greater knowledge and ask Bellow to remove the nonsensical post (#23) above.

As for the subject of the thread. A rare occurrence relative to car, van and truck drivers staring down at their laps fawning on their **** or dicking on their phone. Give me the wheelie any day.

In 40-odd years of riding, and of being involved in training at various levels, I've never, ever heard of any trainer recommending that sort of manoeuvre on a road. What I have heard though is advice that recommends a change of position on the road to ensure that you're easier to see. I'm open to new ideas though, and if anyone can direct me to something that shows a professional giving the advice mentioned, I'm all ears.

Pete

In 40-odd years of riding, and of being involved in training at various levels, I've never, ever heard of any trainer recommending that sort of manoeuvre on a road. What I have heard though is advice that recommends a change of position on the road to ensure that you're easier to see.I'm open to new ideas though, and if anyone can direct me to something that shows a professional giving the advice mentioned, I'm all ears.

Pete

Then you are aware of what we're saying.
Swerving is overstating it (but it was the catalyst for this to be raised). More considered and subtle movement is what works.

Reactions: 219
Then you are aware of what we're saying.
Swerving is overstating it (but it was the catalyst for this to be raised). More considered and subtle movement is what works.

Yep, changing position to make oneself more visible...we agree on that! As you say though, that definitely isn't the sort of swerving about I originally mentioned!

All is well in the world....no argument here!

Pete

Reactions: 219
in 33 years of riding, racing and dicking around on sports motorcycles (nearly all Ducatis I have to add ;) ) The only time I've ever weaved and only a bit was warming up a particular side of my tyres if it was a left or right handed biased track. And even then only at the beginning. Then along came tyre warmers!!
On the road, how about wearing a high vis jacket then there would be no need for all that weaving lark.
Done my fair share of looning around on motorcycles and weaving and being a tw@t was one of them!!! ;)
Knockhill was a good example, being a predominently righthanded track, so you had to warm up the left hand side of the tyres while on the straights until up to temperature, then you could have a bit of fun. Here's one I made earlier..... ;) My lovely Baines Imola wobbling round the hairpin at Knockers ;) Knockhill August 09.jpg

Weaving when there is no traffic is a safety measure so that drivers ahead, or at junctions are made more aware of the bikes presence.
It also warms the edge of the tyres prior to entering 'the twisties'

Okay the weather is getting better and the "biker boys" are coming out.

Personally, love it when motorcyclists "pop a wheelie". Looks even better when they are overtaking someone.[/QUOTE

Seriously? You are impressed by puerile behaviour, irresponsible driving and dangerous manoeuvres.

I'm sure you'd be just as impressed when he slammed headlong into you or a family member's car and totalled you/them.

This is mainly done because travelling in a straight line for ages ruins the curve on the tyres producing a flat spot in the middle. By weaving left and right you can maintain a better tyre shape, increase the number of miles you get out of said tyre which in turn must be better for the environment ;).

........Where most of them cannot handle the bike properly and drift wide into oncoming traffic (left handers for the bikers) or take the bend too tight and their head and body are in my lane (right handers for the biker).

I've no problem with sensible bikers but this is a toy most ride a couple of months a year and are generally incompetent operators.

You'd get more heat into them by getting off, blowing on them a bit, getting back on again, and then heading for the twisty bits.....really. 'Weaving', at the speeds we're talking about, won't get the bike over far enough for the tyres' edges to be in contact with anything but fresh air....unless you're a stunt rider, of course. For a tyre's performance to be affected by heat, it needs a prolonged input - racers use tyre warmers pre-race, then go out and keep the heat in by....well, racing. Weaving on the road, prior to 'the twisties' might marginally, and negligibly, increase heat (the laws of physics say so), but, by the time you've stopped weaving and set the bike up for that first exciting bend, said heat will have disappeared in a puff of quite lukewarm air. People do it because they think it looks cool.....it doesn't. :D

Pete

In 40-odd years of riding, and of being involved in training at various levels, I've never, ever heard of any trainer recommending that sort of manoeuvre on a road. What I have heard though is advice that recommends a change of position on the road to ensure that you're easier to see. I'm open to new ideas though, and if anyone can direct me to something that shows a professional giving the advice mentioned, I'm all ears.

Pete

I was told by my riding instructor when I did my CBT, but I seem to remember it was more of an addition to learning how to counter-steer rather than a specific point.

There's the attached as well, it's a fighter pilot, not sure if that counts as a professional, and he doesn't actually say to swerve around to be seen, but it's a good read either way.

Attachments

• 1211 Road Survival Guide Final.pdf
    561.7 KB · Views: 6
On the road, how about wearing a high vis jacket then there would be no need for all that weaving lark.

Yet, there was a study a few years ago that showed how some car drivers actually do see a motorcycle, hi vis, headlights on etc, but when the message gets to their brain, they still pull out in front of it, cannot remember all the details but it was stated as a medical/scientific fact. Something to do with not expecting to see something, so ignoring it's there when you do see it & pulling out anyway.

(Explanation of sorts here....The #1 reason why cars pull out in front of motorcycles - not distracted drivers » MCrider)

Last edited:
There's only one way to ride a bike safely: assume that everyone on the road is trying to kill you, all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom