Biker with a Death Wish almost pulls into my path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Motorcyclist returned to his/her side of the road by the time of the possible intersection point.

I am not here to defend either rider or car driver - make enough of my own errors without judging others.

Screenshot_20210628-100305_YouTube.jpg

Under close scrutiny the biker is over the white line overtaking the car , Pat is to the right of his lane , the closing speeds are high and it may look a safe distance , except it isn't , this video explains nicely about the distance distortion of wide angle lenses in dash cams .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thing around here with many bikers as that any space seems to be for them. ;)

On the main road close to me when traffic is backed up for the lights if I'm going in opposite direction I often have to slow down or move left as bikers overtake the stationery vehicles on opposite side of road with oncomming traffic. Really annoys one of my mates who is a biker.

Freeze frame at 5 sec's the bike is pictured on his side of the road, But i wasn't there Pat was.

As said id had waited for a clear space before such a maneuver save putting stress on the oncoming driver, lets face if Pat had coughed or had a nervous twitch lol squash......

(biker here too)

Warmer weather seems to have brought out the 2 wheel organ donors that seem to think that they own the road. Good for those awaiting transplants.

We has a short trip to visit my son yesterday (45 minute drive each way) saw a couple of incidents going both ways with bikers doing stupid stuff. We had 3 passing on a blind bend, one after the other.....and cutting back in front of us because they could not see ahead far enough. We caught up with them at the next roundabout and the following cross road (with my wife, who does not drive fast) driving. Idiots.

That road looks very wide and the biker has done nothing wrong. Personally I would be looking at your road positioning as you seem to be riding the centre line but hey ho it could all be down to the camera angle.

That road looks very wide and the biker has done nothing wrong. Personally I would be looking at your road positioning as you seem to be riding the centre line but hey ho it could all be down to the camera angle.
As has been mentioned above, the OP/driver is approaching a left hand Ben and is adopting a road position that will afford maximum forward visibility around the bend.

As has been mentioned above, the OP/driver is approaching a left hand Ben and is adopting a road position that will afford maximum forward visibility around the bend.
Bend? That very slight curve that is wide open,flat and got perfect visibility all the way through it ?
fair enough,I’ll stop now before I get myself into trouble.

Seems I've opened a bit of a debate. ;)

For those that are saying the biker is doing nothing wrong.
Is it OK for a biker to overtake between 2 cars then (not giving the car they are overtaking ample room)?

Either way, a bike overtaking between two cars is plain stupid.

If the car he was overtaking was not aware and moved right (within his lane) we have a massive incident.
That’s the main risk for me, he’s far too close to the car he’s overtaking. It’s very common though, it’s similar to filtering, which done at speed on the motorway is dangerous - a mate witnessed one where a car changed lanes (legally) and the bike slammed into the back of it.

I did an advanced riding course with an ex-police motorcyclist, and the main advice I came away with was to stay as far away from other vehicles as possible! Ie when overtaking, leave a lot of space between you and them.

As a car driver and a biker I have take objection to the phrase 'my side of the road' I've paid my road tax for both so surely I have discretion as to which part I use?:dk:
Especially on the roads here in Norfolk, the grass in the middle is often more of a problem.....

IMG_0938.JPG

As a car driver and a biker I have take objection to the phrase 'my side of the road' I've paid my road tax for both so surely I have discretion as to which part I use?:dk:
Especially on the roads here in Norfolk, the grass in the middle is often more of a problem.....

View attachment 115147
Other than the old chestnut about it no longer being “road tax”, I’m totally with you on objecting to the phrase “my side of the road”. All of the road is there for our use, as safely as possible. I hate that phrase as much as I hate “my right of way”. They both imply a self-awarded superiority and ownership that doesn’t really exist.

The “my side of the road” mentality is all too obvious when out and about. The feeling is all too evident that as long as someone is to the left of any centre lane markings they are doing the correct thing. All I can say is good luck with that one when like minded drivers doing 60mph in opposite directions pass each other with no more than the thickness of a white line between them!

Should Gladys in her Nissan Micra insist on using as much of “her side of the road” as she wishes when a car on low profile tyres is coming in the opposite direction with its driver doing his best to avoid a deep pothole near the verge to his left? Should Oliver in his M3 take the racing line on a sharp right-hander, just clipping the apex of the centre line, when he has no idea what’s coming from the opposite direction?

When I did my ambulance driving course in Suffolk I was taught, amongst many other things, to use all the road wherever it can increase your field of view. The white lines down the centre are just there for guidance; unless they’re solid white lines they’re not brick walls. They can be crossed where doing so provides a safety benefit. They’re a hazard warning, no more and no less. They don’t signify ownership of any part of the road.

Other than the old chestnut about it no longer being “road tax”, I’m totally with you on objecting to the phrase “my side of the road”. All of the road is there for our use, as safely as possible. I hate that phrase as much as I hate “my right of way”. They both imply a self-awarded superiority and ownership that doesn’t really exist.

The “my side of the road” mentality is all too obvious when out and about. The feeling is all too evident that as long as someone is to the left of any centre lane markings they are doing the correct thing. All I can say is good luck with that one when like minded drivers doing 60mph in opposite directions pass each other with no more than the thickness of a white line between them!

Should Gladys in her Nissan Micra insist on using as much of “her side of the road” as she wishes when a car on low profile tyres is coming in the opposite direction with its driver doing his best to avoid a deep pothole near the verge to his left? Should Oliver in his M3 take the racing line on a sharp right-hander, just clipping the apex of the centre line, when he has no idea what’s coming from the opposite direction?

When I did my ambulance driving course in Suffolk I was taught, amongst many other things, to use all the road wherever it can increase your field of view. The white lines down the centre are just there for guidance; unless they’re solid white lines they’re not brick walls. They can be crossed where doing so provides a safety benefit. They’re a hazard warning, no more and no less. They don’t signify ownership of any part of the road.

I was taught to drive into a right hand bend as far to the left as possible and a left hand bend as far to the right as possible regardless of the white line but where safe to do so. I have adopted that style all of my life and I am still here today to tell the tale. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom