Biker with a Death Wish almost pulls into my path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was taught to drive into a right hand bend as far to the left as possible and a left hand bend as far to the right as possible regardless of the white line but where safe to do so. I have adopted that style all of my life and I am still here today to tell the tale. :)
Spot on

That’s the main risk for me, he’s far too close to the car he’s overtaking. It’s very common though, it’s similar to filtering, which done at speed on the motorway is dangerous - a mate witnessed one where a car changed lanes (legally) and the bike slammed into the back of it.

I did an advanced riding course with an ex-police motorcyclist, and the main advice I came away with was to stay as far away from other vehicles as possible! Ie when overtaking, leave a lot of space between you and them.

It appears the biker has allowed plenty of space as he passes the car. Certainly for a motorcycle.

You put the wind up him as you were very close to the centre line, hence his headlight flash.

He wanted to let you know he was there.

Yes use the full width of the road where it is safe but it could be suggested that greater forward observation and anticipation in this case may have shown it was not safe.

That is the Police method .
Indeed it is. Standard police driver training is equivalent to IAM/ROSPA but I don't know how those institutions advise/train their members in respect of road position when approaching a bend.

Referring back to a comment above from knighterrant, police training also advocates the use of the "wrong" side of the road for the assessment of an overtake, is safe to do so, of course.

The video doesn't strike me as particularly noteworthy.

Maybe I am conditioned by other weird biker moves such as filtering on the M4 between lanes 2 and 3 when the traffic is moving at 70+ or the special ones who overtake cars/vans whatever on the zebra crossing outside the pub.

Being a bit close to the non-solid white line seems a bit meh if I'm honest.

I think the title of the thread sums it up:

"almost pulls into my path"​

Yes, I'm a bit dramatic. 😀

I do wonder if it was the same one that did a wheelie overtaking me on same bit of road.

Indeed it is. Standard police driver training is equivalent to IAM/ROSPA but I don't know how those institutions advise/train their members in respect of road position when approaching a bend.

Referring back to a comment above from knighterrant, police training also advocates the use of the "wrong" side of the road for the assessment of an overtake, is safe to do so, of course.
The IAM method is also to get as far to the left as practical when approaching bends to the right, and as far to the right as practical and safe for bends to the left. Both instances of course taking into account other road users, and the degree of movement off line needed dependent on the severity of the bend in order to get the best view round it. For those still in doubt, of course if you cross the centre to move out to the right and see someone coming the other way, you move straight back to the left.

Yes, I'm a bit dramatic. 😀

I do wonder if it was the same one that did a wheelie overtaking me on same bit of road.

4 wheel drive uses more fuel than 2 wheel,
so 1 wheel is saving the planet with not only fuel economy but using less rubber.

He doesn't even hang around for the plaudits, real discretion, a true hero.

I was taught to drive into a right hand bend as far to the left as possible and a left hand bend as far to the right as possible regardless of the white line but where safe to do so. I have adopted that style all of my life and I am still here today to tell the tale. :)
Hi don't drive like that in Herefordshire , position your car away from all the holes in the road.

That’s the main risk for me, he’s far too close to the car he’s overtaking. It’s very common though, it’s similar to filtering, which done at speed on the motorway is dangerous - a mate witnessed one where a car changed lanes (legally) and the bike slammed into the back of it.

I did an advanced riding course with an ex-police motorcyclist, and the main advice I came away with was to stay as far away from other vehicles as possible! Ie when overtaking, leave a lot of space between you and them.
Hi , bet that the m/c could be in the cars blind spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom