Biker with a Death Wish almost pulls into my path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
Some bikers seem to have a death wish.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He appeared to be entirely on his side of the road?

He didn't cross the white line. You were too far to the right.

He didn't cross the white line. You were too far to the right.

No I wasn't. I was on my side of the road. ;)

He was far to close to the car in front travelling at greater speed and had committed to pass.
In fact he was alongside the car by the time I arrived.

Video shows how we all drive differently - many people drive closer to the white line than kerbside. Some ride differently - as long my wheels do not cross the white line then I am in my lane.

Perhaps the motorcyclist has never heard the phrase "why be the jam in the sandwich".

Irrespective of who’s where, it was a dopey move on his part, putting himself in unnecessary danger for no particular reason.
(I was a biker fwiw) 😎

There is a big distortion when it comes to wide angle lenses .

In reality the actual event happens much closer , Pat is 100% in his actions .

Here's some close ones of my own .

Screenshot_20210627-095916_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210627-095832_Gallery.jpg

Video shows how we all drive differently - many people drive closer to the white line than kerbside. Some ride differently - as long my wheels do not cross the white line then I am in my lane.

Perhaps the motorcyclist has never heard the phrase "why be the jam in the sandwich".
The OP was correctly hugging the centre line to improve vision around the upcoming bend to the left. The motorcyclist, on the other hand, was not only squeezing through a shrinking gap but also reducing their forward vision whilst negotiating a bend to the right. A double fail saved by the attentiveness of one of our members.

That piece of road has a slip to the left for turning left.

Approaching roundabout it goes to two lanes, left lane for straight on and right for turning right.

You naturally move there when turning right.

Either way, a bike overtaking between two cars is plain stupid.

If the car he was overtaking was not aware and moved right (within his lane) we have a massive incident.

Personally, I'd have waited (I'm a biker too), but not all that much of a death wish, really.

As a sometime biker, who tends on the conservative side of going for gaps, I recognise that what might look it a bit squiffy from a car driver’s perspective doesn’t feel so from a rider’s perspective

the capabilities and space needed for a car and a bike are very different. Personally I didn’t see an issue in the biker’s manoeuvre but understand why the OP did

Reactions: m80
Different people's perspective is a funny old thing .
We go to school and learn the same things but especially in later life can interpretate events entirely differently .

Both vehicles were within in their correct lanes but both vehicles were to the right of those lanes making things close when they pass .

And like I said before a wide angle lense makes it look like a bigger distance .

Pat took the right action and made room , much better to be safe than sorry with the possibility of a handlebar clipping a wing mirror and sending the rider to the road in the path...

When going around the bend as in the video above it is very likly the biker's wheels where on the correct side of the white line but his head could have been...on the wrong side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom