Bikers are always right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
so the race track here is twisty roads usually B roads and sometimes A roads.

The ones where you’ll often come around a bend and maybe find a kid on a bike, horse riders, or maybe a parked car.
Those A & B roads have a higher death rate than motorways, and sadly drivers like you, who run out of luck or talent, are usually a causal part of the ‘chain of errors’ leading up to it.

, the guys on high end super bikes , I hardly ever see and never raced one I don't think.

.....mopeds....125s ? :)

they probably wouldn't take me seriously at a guess ?

....the list is growing :(

i think there is definitely a difference in body language and behaviour between someone I had baited to race me vs the casual fast rider making progress.

......Why do you feel the need to “bait”? Just take it on a track day to exorcise your needs, there will be a lot less danger to others.

secondly, I don't do straight line races on motorways ,

......those small cc bikes aren’t allowed on there :)
.......and the big ones will leave you for dead....

The ones where you’ll often come around a bend and maybe find a kid on a bike, horse riders, or maybe a parked car.
Those A & B roads have a higher death rate than motorways, and sadly drivers like you, who run out of luck or talent, are usually a causal part of the ‘chain of errors’ leading up to it.

i think there is definitely a difference in body language and behaviour between someone I had baited to race me vs the casual fast rider making progress.

......Why do you feel the need to “bait”? Just take it on a track day to exorcise your needs, there will be a lot less danger to others.

the reality is I'm probably a safer driver than the vast majority of drivers , that list probably includes you . there is no luck involved

not sure what the point of your post was, nor do I care, but thanks for wasting time posting that comment.

Simple case of too much ambition and way too little ability I think. Generally the cause of mindless high speed shunts that cause pain and suffering to people who are just going about their everyday business.

Oh and Mr Right you need get your head out of your bottom and have a think about your lack of road sense.

Reactions: 219
the reality is I'm probably a safer driver than the vast majority of drivers

Ahhhhhhh ..... the 'I am an above average driver' delusion. Apparently when asked this is what most drivers good, bad, and indifferent think of themselves.

Reactions: 219
We are ALL "above average drivers" - until it all turns to rat sh!t. Mr. Right, you've been lucky so far. You might find it useful to think: "What if I meet me coming in the opposite direction doing the same thing?" every time you are tempted to display your "above average" driving skills. You only need to be unlucky once...

Ahhhhhhh ..... the 'I am an above average driver' delusion. Apparently when asked this is what most drivers good, bad, and indifferent think of themselves.

i dont disagree that speeding isnt something responsible. from time to time , i do speed , yes. guilty as charged. im sure most of you have done the same from time to time. eg going 71mph on the motorway. i dont over estimate my ”talent” as I'm no Lewis Hamilton. as mentioned, im very careful , far more cautious and responsible in real terms than my post made out. i would say, far more responsible than the average driver (when not speeding which is a rare occurrence ) you're right of course about speeding and driving dangerously, I completely agree. I never take any silly risks and certainly don't speed around blind corners or endanger others. indeed Im probably on a national lottery winning streak and hope my luck doesn't run out because:
ive had a licence since 1995
ive had 0 accidents that are my fault and only ever clipped a bus with my wing mirror in traffic because the bus came into my lane suddenly. not my fault and no damage.
0 speeding tickets. 0 points on my licences etc

I bet you tend to do at least one of the following : undertake, don't indicate when changing lanes , jump red lights , tailgate, indulge in road rage , unnecessarily flash other road users, use your horns indiscriminately etc in which case, shame on you back :) lol

Could we have a ‘dislike’ button, please ?

I wonder how many of you posting here have ever done any sort of 'advanced driver training' (bikes and cars) or anything else since passing your first driving test .....

Because of my job, I've been tested & re-trained many times since I got my license and have also done advanced (high speed) driver training at Millbrook Proving Ground (race circuit, alpine circuit, banked circle - 140 mph peripheral vision exercise, emergency braking & obstacle avoidance at high speed, etc) and 2 track days with MB. It was always interesting to get feedback on my driving from a professional and I always learned something.

I don't know if it made me a better driver but I hope so!

I wonder how many of you posting here have ever done any sort of 'advanced driver training' (bikes and cars) or anything else since passing your first driving test .....

Because of my job, I've been tested & re-trained many times since I got my license and have also done advanced (high speed) driver training at Millbrook Proving Ground (race circuit, alpine circuit, banked circle - 140 mph peripheral vision exercise, emergency braking & obstacle avoidance at high speed, etc) and 2 track days with MB. It was always interesting to get feedback on my driving from a professional and I always learned something.

I don't know if it made me a better driver but I hope so!

your job sounds super exciting! I think it does make a difference and I'm sure you've got some serious skill. I've done a few car driving training courses of varying types but notably including a couple of AMG ones and one in Goodwood last month. Some hit and miss ones over the years . my least favourite ones are track handling courses. Though the guys at AMG allowed me to push their cars a lot harder than some of the cars at other courses where they make you upshift very early etc. in the AMG ones, I really let rip. pushed those cars really hard with a lot of hard braking and skidding and lurching. the wet circle and slalom were a lot of fun and there was something very exciting about doing lap after lap of drifting on the wet circle or slalom drifts on the wet strips there . I'll fit in an AMG one again next year after a rally car one elsewhere first. I would strongly recommend MB World ,.their courses are top notch and not crowded like a lot of other ones. the downside of having the AMG courses was that it made me realise just how much safety tech is crammed into these cars. When i drive other non AMG cars now I'm really tentative initially now as I have no idea what some of these cars behave when pushed or in the wet. An example is I went overseas not so long ago and hired a nice big 6.2 litre v8 GM muscle car and having driven a few 100 miles in the dry , suddenly there was a downpour and the tyres were so terrible that I needed all the drifting experience I could get as the back wheels couldn't deal with the water at all and the rear of the car was sliding around a metre either way without hardly any throttle input. luckily traffic was minimal but I put the hazards on a few times and pulled to the side when I saw cars in my rear view. Fun it was indeed but the biggest lesson I learnt is always check tyres before you hop into a hire car !

Actually, the really good drivers tend to be the most modest, and play down their skills .

your job sounds super exciting! I think it does make a difference and I'm sure you've got some serious skill. I've done a few car driving training courses of varying types but notably including a couple of AMG ones and one in Goodwood last month. Some hit and miss ones over the years . my least favourite ones are track handling courses. Though the guys at AMG allowed me to push their cars a lot harder than some of the cars at other courses where they make you upshift very early etc. in the AMG ones, I really let rip. pushed those cars really hard with a lot of hard braking and skidding and lurching. the wet circle and slalom were a lot of fun and there was something very exciting about doing lap after lap of drifting on the wet circle or slalom drifts on the wet strips there . I'll fit in an AMG one again next year after a rally car one elsewhere first. I would strongly recommend MB World ,.their courses are top notch and not crowded like a lot of other ones. the downside of having the AMG courses was that it made me realise just how much safety tech is crammed into these cars. When i drive other non AMG cars now I'm really tentative initially now as I have no idea what some of these cars behave when pushed or in the wet. An example is I went overseas not so long ago and hired a nice big 6.2 litre v8 GM muscle car and having driven a few 100 miles in the dry , suddenly there was a downpour and the tyres were so terrible that I needed all the drifting experience I could get as the back wheels couldn't deal with the water at all and the rear of the car was sliding around a metre either way without hardly any throttle input. luckily traffic was minimal but I put the hazards on a few times and pulled to the side when I saw cars in my rear view. Fun it was indeed but the biggest lesson I learnt is always check tyres before you hop into a hire car !
Hmmm ,

Any fool can drive fast enough to be dangerous.

It matters not what the conditions are or the capabilities of the car : a good driver will recognise these things and drive accordingly.

There’s more than a touch of hubris in some of the posts in this thread

Hmmm ,

Any fool can drive fast enough to be dangerous.

It matters not what the conditions are or the capabilities of the car : a good driver will recognise these things and drive accordingly.

There’s more than a touch of hubris in some of the posts in this thread

quite similar to how sanctimonious some of the posts are. some more than others :)

I see it now; you're right, we're all wrong. What other possible explanation could there be... :rolleyes:

..... clipped a bus with my wing mirror in traffic because the bus came into my lane suddenly. not my fault and no damage.

Ah. "suddenly".

A word greatly overused, according to a Police Road Traffic Colission Investigator of my acquaintance.

What is meant by 'a good driver'?

One who is able to control his vehicle at high speed on tight roads?

Who one who drives slowly, obeys the highway code, and practices good observation at all times?

Or let's put it this way. You are a passenger on a 767 that ran into difficulties over the Atlantic.

The first pilot is a square-jawed 28 years old who flew Tornadoes over Syria and trained with the Red Arrows, and this is his first job since he left the RAF.

The Captain is a 60 years old BA veteran with grey hair, who used to fly the Concorde in its heyday and has 30,000 hours on the 767.

Which of the two would you prefer at the helm.........?

So being a 'good' driver isn't just one thing. Being able to win a race is totally different to the ability to drive safely on public roads.

(......said the old man :) )

What is meant by 'a good driver'?

One who is able to control his vehicle at high speed on tight roads?

Who one who drives slowly, obeys the highway code, and practices good observation at all times?

Or let's put it this way. You are a passenger on a 767 that ran into difficulties over the Atlantic.

The first pilot is a square-jawed 28 years old who flew Tornadoes over Syria and trained with the Red Arrows, and this is his first job since he left the RAF.

The Captain is a 60 years old BA veteran with grey hair, who used to fly the Concorde in its heyday and has 30,000 hours on the 767.

Which of the two would you prefer at the helm.........?

So being a 'good' driver isn't just one thing. Being able to win a race is totally different to the ability to drive safely on public roads.

(......said the old man :) )
very good question and being the irresponsible speed demon on this thread who claims cars can out brake and out corner most bikes , i will of course come to the defence on that position. [stares at poster of Nigel Mansell on the bedroom ceiling ]. in the context of a member of the public using public roads, i would say a good driver is one who follows the highway code in exemplary fashion. sticks to speed limits and reduces speed when the speed limit is not appropriate, drives defensively and is able to proactively seek out hazards before they unfold and mitigate any risks as far as possible. Also what makes a good driver is one who drives courteously, demonstrates patience.and doesn't overreact when others make mistakes on the road. A good driver ensures that their vehicle is roadworthy at all times and in all conditions and avoids driving when suffering from fatigue and never under the influence.of drugs, alcohol and medication. A good driver is one who always keeps their focus on the road. Unfortunately speed only comes into play as a possible means to avoid a dangerous situation developing. being able to control your vehicle is very important to being a good driver too and being able to adapt to different weather conditions etc which allow you to operate your vehicle with the precision required to navigate obstacles etc.

Driving carelessly, speeding, racing or causing other drivers to be careless is bad to appalling. Driving unnecessarily fast or aggressively usually leads to reducing reaction times and increasing the risk of causing dangerous situations to unfold. A vehicle can be a lethal weapon, and the driver has the responsibility of ensuring they do not cause any harm. The best way to do that is to follow rules and guidelines at all times. Unfortunately the thrill of adrenaline, testosterone , ego etc and our all reptilian and limbic brain systems if not controlled can lead to very silly and irresponsible driving practices. Even racing drivers like Lewis Hamilton succeed by perfecting the practices required to win on a racetrack.

the master is the BA pilot with tons of experience and good habits and practices, rather than the red arrow pilot. The red arrow pilot is built for entertaining and the air force perhaps which are very niche situations. A police response vehicle unit or ambulance driver will have their own template for excellence but for the average citizen, driving true to the highway code is the the most appropriate path. When I first got my licence , I was a terrible driver. I'm just thankful I never found myself in a ditch or a pile up. I'm also grateful that during my irresponsible moments , nothing untoward happened.

An important takeaway point also is stereotypes...if you drive modded cars or cars that give off a boy racer image (intentional or not) then you may find yourself in certain situations a lot more often ... then you're inviting trouble and bad practices if you lack the discipline to be responsible at all times. from a personal perspective I'm glad to now drive a sensible c class. maybe for the people like me who are prone to be irresponsible and immature on the road, driving more civilised cars leads to better driving practices too I think. Give the BA pilot an F15 and he'd probably be very responsible in that aircraft too if his remit was ti transport a passenger (good pilot) ... Give me an F15 and I probably wouldn't have the maturity to be able to control myself ! (bad bad bad pilot )

An important takeaway point also is stereotypes...if you drive modded cars or cars that give off a boy racer image (intentional or not) then you may find yourself in certain situations a lot more often ... then you're inviting trouble and bad practices if you lack the discipline to be responsible at all times. from a personal perspective I'm glad to now drive a sensible c class. maybe for the people like me who are prone to be irresponsible and immature on the road, driving more civilised cars leads to better driving practices too I think. Give the BA pilot an F15 and he'd probably be very responsible in that aircraft too if his remit was ti transport a passenger (good pilot) ... Give me an F15 and I probably wouldn't have the maturity to be able to control myself ! (bad bad bad pilot )
Are you a pilot?

Are you a pilot?

I wish ! I was using Markjay's BA pilot analogy. my flying skills are limited to games such as the Harrier one on the zx spectrum +

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom