Binding brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wezzel

Car
C220 cdi Sport Estate
Bugger. Just got out of my car in the office car park and smelt something burning.

On further inspection my offside rear brake disk is very hot (compared to the others anyway).

I will have to leave work early and investigate. Any ideas what it could be? I am asuming it may be a sticking caliper.

Bugger. Just got out of my car in the office car park and smelt something burning.

On further inspection my offside rear brake disk is very hot (compared to the others anyway).

I will have to leave work early and investigate. Any ideas what it could be? I am asuming it may be a sticking caliper.

Hand-brake left on? Or the hand-brake linkage is sticking.:confused:

Seized caliper I suspect

The rear wheel calipers are usually single piston. Quiet easy to take off and check that all moving parts are not sticking

Jacking the wheel will tell you if its parking brake or calliper

Thanks Chaps,

I doubt if it is the parking brake 'cos I almost never use it.

I shall nip off early this afternoon and do an inspection. Still at least it's not raining :(

Thanks Chaps,

I doubt if it is the parking brake 'cos I almost never use it.

I shall nip off early this afternoon and do an inspection. Still at least it's not raining :(

To see if the piston is stuck just try and lever it back with a flat bladed scew driver between the pad and the disc

Well, it turned out to be a very seized caliper (there are two pistons and one was locked solid). I spent the best part of an hour trying to free it but gave up and booked it into my local indie tomorrow.

Looks like they may put on a reconditioned one.

Not a very common fault these days and most MB's only have a single on the rear,,at least its a very quick job to do, and it should not brake the bank and seize all your assets

Not a very common fault these days and most MB's only have a single on the rear,,at least its a very quick job to do, and it should not brake the bank and seize all your assets

Very good :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom