Binoculars recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seven

Car
Transporter Kombi
Off to the Kruger for a quick trip at the end of the month and need another pair of binoculars to save us fighting over the one pair we've got.
Obviously want the best for free but that won't happen.
Budget - there is none but want quality that will last ( we go yearly ).
Not sure what to make of image stabilisation models and I'm not close to a shop where I can try.
Your input and experiences are very welcome - TIA.

I use a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5x42 Swarovison which are brilliant, but we're very expensive (currently £1.8k).

For half the cost of the Swaro's, I think Zeiss Conquest 8x42 are excellent and at around £700 are outstanding value IMHO. These were my second choice after spending hours comparing with the Swaro's. I think these are as good or better than Leica Ultravid which are about the same price as the Swaro's. Nikon EDG are also excellent, but again are expensive at £1.4k. Not sure they're better than the Zeiss Conquest.

Opticron make some good binoculars that are much less painful on the wallet.
Suggest you consider Opticron Natura 8x42, they get a decent write up and come in at about £250. I've not looked through the Natura myself as they are a new release.

I have an Opticron scope and had Opticron Oregon LE 8x42 in the past. The Oregon were ok in good light, but performance fell off quite badly on dull days and at dawn/dusk. Hence the jump to the Swaro's. From what I've read the Natura are good in low light.

http://opticron.co.uk/PDF/Steve_Young_Natura_ED_8x42.pdf

I strongly suggest that you spend at least £200, anything less than that and I doubt that the optical or build quality will be where you'll want it to be. Nothing worse than travelling halfway round the world to see something of interest and then be let down by kit.

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
Kruger time

I lived in South Africa for just under a year, and did the Kruger three times as well as little Micky Mouse, but malaria-free, parks like Pilensberg with friends who were visiting from Europe.

I can't comment on latest models but I can offer these three thoughts:

1) Something chunky like 7x50 (although many prefer 8x) field glasses are great, if you're happy to have them on you, for immediate use. I had a cold war Zeiss Jenopten pair which were big, bright, steady and the right magnification - for Kruger, or for horse-racing back in Blighty. You may think that a bright field is irrelevant in the sunshine, but it is valuable in the morning or twilight. Older military style glasses are cheap as chips at £50 or so, have lasted fifty years and are built to last another 50.

2) Having said that, compact pocket glasses are very useful, especially with a decent zoom lens. they're fiddly, not as steady, and nowhere near as bright, but you may find that you'll use them more often and more readily, outside the Game park safari stuff. I had a small pair of Nikon zoom binoculars - more fiddly, less light, less stable when zoomed, but very portable and easy to casually carry on a trip. Remember, although Safari is a time to be carrying binoculars, you probably will be carrying, and wanting to use, a camera as well. Obviously, look at your existing binoculars and think about whether you want more of the same, or something different.

3) Final thought - why not consider offering a friend some money to borrow his field glasses, and see how that pair works out, or even just buy a used pair on eBay and then either keep them or sell them again when you come back?

Last edited:
I've found that I get on better using a monocular - plus there is a weight and size benefit to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom