Bio Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lexuscol

Car
W203 006 model
Whats the youngest car you would put bio diesel in. Are there any pitfalls with this fuel or does it depend on who is producing it, quality wise?

Slight reduction in economy, smokier on start up.
Have had minor issue with causing vapour lock after switching off with hot engine though only happened once on Merc, affects VAG PD engine more due to siting of injectors in head. Supplier insists this problem is now dealt with.

Ensure it meets BS 14214 and is filtered very fine. Mine is down to 1 micron so much finer than pump diesel.

Otherwise no problems.

After gaining assurance from supplier I would use it in any age car, as they cover any damage claims.
Mine says CDI engines no problem, which they shouldn't be as MB specify Viton seals in the fuel system.

Slight reduction in economy, smokier on start up.
Have had minor issue with causing vapour lock after switching off with hot engine though only happened once on Merc, affects VAG PD engine more due to siting of injectors in head. Supplier insists this problem is now dealt with.

Ensure it meets BS 14214 and is filtered very fine. Mine is down to 1 micron so much finer than pump diesel.

Otherwise no problems.

After gaining assurance from supplier I would use it in any age car, as they cover any damage claims.
Mine says CDI engines no problem, which they shouldn't be as MB specify Viton seals in the fuel system.

Diesleman,

From what you say, should my mum be able to load her 1999 C220CDi with bio-diesel without any adjustment, alteration or amendment? Should she mix it with ordinary diesel? You talk about the bio-d you use being "very fine filtered". What does this entail and how might we ensure it is suitable?

Thanks and apologies if what I'm asking is stupid!

David

The caveat to all this advice is read your warranty. If the fuel is not on the MB aspproved list then go into this with your eyes wide open.

Regards
John

Last edited:
I ask Mitsubishi if their cars were compatable with bio-diesel, response below.

Fuel resources such as Rape Methyl Ester (RME) and Soybean Methyl Ester (SOME), collectively known as Fatty Acid Methyl Esters (FAME), are being used as alternatives and supplements for mineral oil derived fuels. The use of these fuels in unmodified vehicles causes softening of the seals and possible fuel leaks. Damage caused as a result of using Bio-diesel that does not satisfy the following conditions is not covered by Mitsubishi Motors warranties:
1. The amount of FAME must be below 5% volume.
2. The quality of FAME must conform to the EN14214 standard, and,
3. The quality of diesel fuel after blending FAME must conform to the EN590 standard.
The use of Bio-ethanol as a petrol additive causes damage to unmodified vehicles. All gasoline powered Mitsubishi vehicles (including GDI) can use a maximum of 5% volume ethanol blended gasoline specified EN228. Damage caused as a result of using Bio-ethanol that does not satisfy this condition, is not covered by Mitsubishi Motors warranties.
I trust this information is of assistance to you.

As glojo says, read the warranty.

I cant understand why people by top cars like mercs...spend lots of money on them in the first instance ...and then go and put bio diesel in which will save them pennies .:eek: ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom