Biodiesel in a 220 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

badmedic

Probably not a new question but can it run on 100% biodiesel the supplier is reputable his product meets the standards laid down but will the car like it?

badmedic said:
Probably not a new question but can it run on 100% biodiesel the supplier is reputable his product meets the standards laid down but will the car like it?

Hi badmedic,
I would suggest you read your manual before making any decision.

What country are you from, what is car and is the supplier willing to stand by their product and pay for any damage that MIGHT be caused?

Regards,
John

you have to look at how much "bio" is in the biodiesel... If the oil content is 5-10% then you should be fine, anymore than that and the manufacturers have not tested it...

I've run my C220cdi (2001) on 75% biodiesel for 3500 miles now - I know thats not long, but the only effects I have noticed have been positive. The engine is quieter and smoother and has a bit more go in it. I was advised to change the fuel filter 500 miles after starting to use the biodiesel as apparently it clears out all the old cr** in the tank and fuel lines. I changed my filter as advised, and have also fitted a device called a 'Diesel therm' which heats the fuel before the filter, and makes it thinner, until the engine is up to temperature. This is the problem with Biodiesel, in that if running a high percentage, it can be slightly too viscous on a cold morning (below 6c), and the engine runs a bit sluggish until warm. This doesn't happen with the diesel therm fitted.

I started off using biodiesel to save money (only 76p litre) and 'cos it is delivered to my door. But now i'd use it anyway as it runs better than normal diesel. Only time will tell what the long term effects are :rolleyes:

jasper203 said:
This is the problem with Biodiesel, in that if running a high percentage, it can be slightly too viscous on a cold morning (below 6c), and the engine runs a bit sluggish until warm. This doesn't happen with the diesel therm fitted.
:
The viscosity should be the same for biodiesel as mineral diesel. Vegoil is more viscous.

jasper203 said:
I started off using biodiesel to save money (only 76p litre) and 'cos it is delivered to my door. But now i'd use it anyway as it runs better than normal diesel. Only time will tell what the long term effects are :rolleyes

Where from, I would probably be interested?

Yes, the viscosity thing is marginal, but i'd rather cover every eventuality, the suppliers of the biodiesel guarantee it at 100% down to 0c , but we do get temperatures below that sometimes, and there is apparently a risk of it 'gelling' in the fuel filter. Specs of biodiesel are here :-

http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/approvals.htm

take note of the higher cetane rating (explains the smoother running i guess ?)

I get mine from http://www.expressbiofuels.co.uk They are local to me, so deliver for Free (78p litre - not 76p as I put yesterday)

Well Mrs Wibble from Harpenden reckons it is OK in her ML320 and that has 50% more cylinders to go wrong - (and her ML is a petrol) I reckon it will be OK -
You try it first and let me know if the Airbag light comes on a the paint falls off your bonnet .

76p per litre seems expensive to me as they sell it in 20 litres drums down at Costco for 40p per litre.

I would also agree with you...my 300D ran much better on veg....quieter, but smellier...in a nice sort of way!:p

Biodiesel is not the same thing as vegetable oil. It has additives to help stop it thickening at low temperatures.

There is a BIG difference between Charlie Farley's chipshop oil and bio diesel . Veg Oil will work OK in the old plodders in the summer time without preheat - Bio diesel is treated with all sorts of things to remove the nasty esters (ransome) and while you could do it at home , I would leave it to someone who knows what they are up to (Buncefield II the sequel)

I have run straight veg in hot weather in a pajero with good results , but think twice before dumping it in a CDI .

I have run straight veg in hot weather in a pajero with good results , but think twice before dumping it in a CDI .[/QUOTE]

I would agree with that....my old 300d used old pre combustion chamber technology whereas a CDi fuel pump + injectors run to far higher tolerances and using veg oil which is far more viscous would worry me about the longevity of your fuel pump + clogged injectors, all of which are big bucks to replace if they go wrong.

I wouldn't run svo in a CDi engine, the pump isn't strong enough to take te extra loading. As far as injectors go it would probably keep them clear and provide lubrication which would reduce the amount of wear they suffer from.

badmedic said:

They only barely run on normal diesel, so running a cdi on cooking oil might be a tad rash...

Last edited:
fredfloggle said:
Well Mrs Wibble from Harpenden reckons it is OK in her ML320 and that has 50% more cylinders to go wrong - (and her ML is a petrol) I reckon it will be OK -
You try it first and let me know if the Airbag light comes on a the paint falls off your bonnet .

Do you not think she might have been referring to the new ML320cdi?:confused:

Ive got a nicht usen sie biodiesel on my filler cap on my X5 and 320d.

Use it at your pearl.

fuzzer said:
Ive got a nicht usen sie biodiesel on my filler cap on my X5 and 320d.

I think it says much the same in our MLs handbook.

Iain said:
Do you not think she might have been referring to the new ML320cdi?:confused:

Yes !
Wouldn't be a lot of point putting it in a petrol engined vehicle!
Doesn't matter whether 4,5,6 cylinders - if it gives problems , the technology is the same .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom