Biodiesel....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve1978

Car
E250 sport auto saloon
Hello,

I have a 1 month old e250 sport CDI. I am just reading interesting articles about bio diesel. Everything I read seems to be very old though.

Can anyone advise if I can use bio and if I can can I do it without modification? ( using a mixture maybe)??

properly made biodiesel is fine in 99% of cars.

the killer is that a lot isnt properly made.

The former site was THE one, until quite recently. XMB with very poor search capability and forum moderation being some of the issues...

The latter forum is the best place to learn about the stuff.

As said, finding a good commercial supplier is the issue. The recent duty changes mean there is no money to be made making good bio and staying legal.

If your car is "common rail" (usually on 2001 cars onward) then its a good chance you would cause damage to your engine if you are making your own bio.

Keith

I did but I stand by my own post based on personal observations in my 4x4 club.

It was home made bio and made properly using the proper equipment and it wasn't crap either but some common rail vehicles cannot handle it.

It was home made bio and made properly using the proper equipment and it wasn't crap either but some common rail vehicles cannot handle it.

Much of the 'proper equipment' for making bio that is for sale is actually crap AND dangerous. It is an odd state of affairs, where the DIY build market leads the commercial, overpriced, open topped HDPE merchants.

There are some easy qualitative tests for home made bio to determine the % of conversion and residual soap content.

IMO, post 2 still applies. (I wouldn't be running a 1 month old E class on bio, having said that...);)

Thanks for the help folks, lots of really good info. I am happy to buy it, even if it is the same price as esso/ shell etc normal diesel, it is better for environment and renewable. But if it is cheaper by just 2p then it's defo worth it! Only question remains.. What are the risks of damage lower consumption etc if using it. I live in the liverpool area, if anyone knows any "proper" bio diesel producers in the area please let me know, I believe it's about 75p a ltr, that right?

Car is a 2013 e250 CDI.

It has slightly lower energy than dino - oft quoted at about 10% to 15% less - so it needs to be at least 15% cheaper then pump dino to make it worthwhile.

Bio is in virtually all 'regular' diesel in the UK now, admittedly at low %'s like 5% but dont quote me.

It has slightly lower energy than dino - oft quoted at about 10% to 15% less - so it needs to be at least 15% cheaper then pump dino to make it worthwhile.

Bio is in virtually all 'regular' diesel in the UK now, admittedly at low %'s like 5% but dont quote me.

Quoted :bannana::D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom