Bios?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian B Walker

MB Enthusiast
Car
300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
Help peeps, put a new motherboard in my computer this morning and it wont even boot into BIOS. Tried removing all my cards and drives and still no joy. The wires that go to the switches, the white and coloured ones. Which is the posative? I have assumed that the coloured wire eg red is live?

You should be able to boot your MB to bios with just memory and VGA. You only need to connect the power switch 2 pin wire and and the power lead (s) to get it to boot, you dont need sisks or floppy etc to get into bios. If it fails to boot after that with no bleeps, I would say it's dead or doesn't support the CPU you have. Memory issues usually give you bleeps to diagnose the problem.

OK Ian, a few things you can check:

Make sure that your memory modules and processor are seated properly, possibly take them out and re-seat them (taking proper antistatic precautions)

Are you getting any beeps from the internal speaker on boot up, these will usually signify the fault by the number of times it beeps.

Make sure all cards are removed (except the video card if you don't have one built into the motherboard).

How far does the boot up sequence go? Do you get anything on the screen at all?

OK time for the silly question, but just thought I'd check, the power and signal cables to the monitor are securly plugged in?

Also one last thing, could be a BIOS config problem. To reset the BIOS there will be most likely be a jumper that needs to be moved from one position to another to clear the BIOS settings and set it to default. Turn the mains power off. This may possiblly clear the problem, but you will have to go into the BIOS and set it back up to your requirements afterwards. Details of this should be in the motherboard manual. IF you don't have it, then the alternative is to make physically pull out the battery on the board to clear the BIOS, not the recommended method but it works. Place it back in after around 30 secs and give it a shot again . .

Hope I've been of some help!

thanks one and all for the info. The Board is kernacked, not a sausage out of it. Ended up reinstalling my old board. Looks like a refund is due :rolleyes:

does anyone else find all this upgrading malarky a pain in the behind ...

there is a certain pleasure at lifting a dc7100 out of a box and just switching it on :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom