Bird Poop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Y15HAL

SUPPORTER
Car
R107 500SL, R129 SL500, W124 320CE, BMW 535i
Good Morning All :)

I'm getting a little pee'd off with the amount of bird poop i'm having to clear off from the car, seems to be a daily occurrence! :wallbash:

Anyone else have the same issue?

I've read before that it's not advised to have a car cover on the car, as moisture can get trapped underneath, and could potentially have an effect on the lacquer.....

But i'm thinking at least the the cover will stop the bird poop, and also dust covering the car........ I washed it a week ago, and already it's fully covered in dust - looks like it hasn't been washed in over a month! :(

Rant over :D

In London you've mainly got pigeons to contend with, try living near the coast, as we used to, where it's seagulls (coloquially known as shitehawks!), they can really ruin your car cleaning day!! Main thing is to wash it off ASAP as it's acidic and does the lacquer no good at all, and keep a good coat of wax on the car.

I’m in a similar situation. I love cleaning car/van. My wife loves feeding the birds. Not an ideal combination. :confused:

We’ve considered getting divorced but neither of us want sole custody of our daughter.

Same here, car on the drive, bird feeders in the garden, poop on the car. Keeping a decent wax/protection layer on the paint seems to help with removal. Last year, some very aggressive poop made its way onto off-side rear wheel arch and damaged to paint. It was only there for maximum of a day.

It does feel like a waste of time and effort right now, but still need to wash it weekly regardless of driving. A lot of the dust on it right now is pollen, though a few weeks ago the rain brought in dust from the Sahara (apparently).

There are car covers that 'breath' - they do not trap moisture. Though you'll need to clean the cover from time to time...

Yes, car definitely needs a good clean, decontamination, and then protection on top.....And i do try and keep an eye on the car and remove ASAP!

I think you're right @GeeJayW it must have been from the Sahara, made the car filthy :(

@markjay this is what i was thinking about - the breathable covers.....

Birds excrete the waste products of both kidneys and gut through a common duct- the cloaca- the white material is Uric acid and is the stuff that etches the lacquer/paint.
1280px-Harns%C3%A4ure_Ketoform.svg.png

We’ve seen a dramatic increase in the amount of bird poo this year. We have trees in the garden which are popular with nesting birds, especially wood pigeons.

I’ve decided to leave the jetwash permanently hooked up to give any bird poo a blast as and when I spot it - I’m about to buy a DI vessel to reduce the potential for water spots.

If the bird poo dries because it’s hot or you spot it some time after it landed, then place a wet kitchen towel on the bird poo to soften before jetwashing.

Try not to rub bird poo (to remove) though - even if you wet it - because it can contain grit which further damages the paint. Contactless removal is best.

I can't really leave the jet was plugged in all the time....

Just settle for some warm/hot water, pour over, wait for a few seconds, and then wipe off with soft tissue, i try to it if i can avoid agitating it.....especially if its dried out :(

Try not to rub bird poo (to remove) though - even if you wet it - because it can contain grit which further damages the paint. Contactless removal is best.
Unfortunately, the previous owner of my MX-5 (my youngest daughter), made this mistake on the bonnet. Small area of fingernail detectable swirly scratches in the lacquer, still there too. She was very annoyed with herself at the time. Spilt milk and all that...

Might have the bonnet resprayed sometime, might not.

After nearly twenty-years of pretty much daily use, numerous practice sessions, jams, gigs etc., my Les Paul has the odd small ding and dent on the top and neck, some slight buckle rash on the back, pickguard is cracked around one of the screw holes, fingerboard and frets are worn in places. It's still a damn good guitar, and I will never sell it.

Same for the MX-5, damn good little car, not planning on selling it anytime soon.

Since you can buy road worn guitars these days at stupid prices, does that mean we will eventually see 'road worn' cars :confused:

Here in NE London we don't have pigeons but craws and magpies and they make a massive poo and tend to drop their food on my Mini. On Saturday I had to wash it as it didn't move for some time and didn't look really nice all covered in dust, poo and bread, just to be covered again yesterday in their excrement. It is not sitting under the tree but I think those devils have a flight corridor just above Mini's parking space. I can move it few inches to the right but judged by the volume of their $hite it would just land on the wings and the bonnet edges. Can't go any further left as I don't want it to be too close to Merc in case it splats when it lands on the Mini.

T
Same here, car on the drive, bird feeders in the garden, poop on the car. Keeping a decent wax/protection layer on the paint seems to help with removal. Last year, some very aggressive poop made its way onto off-side rear wheel arch and damaged to paint. It was only there for maximum of a day.

It does feel like a waste of time and effort right now, but still need to wash it weekly regardless of driving. A lot of the dust on it right now is pollen, though a few weeks ago the rain brought in dust from the Sahara (apparently).
The Sahara dust has been a 'thing' in the South of the country for quite a few years now. I don't know the details but I remember first noticing/being made aware of it's origin some years ago. During last weeks sunny spell all of our cars were covered in it, my neighbour has a black car,luckily for him he not car OCD.

Here in NE London we don't have pigeons but craws and magpies and they make a massive poo and tend to drop their food on my Mini. On Saturday I had to wash it as it didn't move for some time and didn't look really nice all covered in dust, poo and bread, just to be covered again yesterday in their excrement. It is not sitting under the tree but I think those devils have a flight corridor just above Mini's parking space. I can move it few inches to the right but judged by the volume of their $hite it would just land on the wings and the bonnet edges. Can't go any further left as I don't want it to be too close to Merc in case it splats when it lands on the Mini.

I'm glad i'm not the only one! :rolleyes:

I have a similar issue. Hot tap water to rinse it off as much as I can and to get the gritty part off. If there is still some left, I use a citrus cleaner which gets it off. I have one area which was left on the car whilst I was away (thanks family!) and so it will require a machine polish to get it off.

If left too long, it can crack the lacquer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom