Bit of a funny one..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Not ha ha funny..

Got in the car today for the first time in a week, switched on the ignition and was mildly alarmed to see what I thought was a warning light on the dash (in the gear selection/speed panel at the bottom). Not there normally, at any rate.

After fumbling for my glasses so that I could see what I was looking at (oh, the joys of getting older), I don't think it's a warning at all - possibly the display starting to degrade? The car's 9 years old now.

What are the panels thoughts?

Cheers,

Gaz

IMG_0249_zpsycqcozmj.jpg

Looks like a problem with the display to me.

Looks like it is a knackered display then. Oh well, I'm not swapping out the cluster to cure it, looks like I'll just have to live with it. Boo hoo..

Cheers,

Gaz

A bit of warmth back through the car with heaters on or dry garaged in the warm may resolve this.

It does live in a dry garage but I'm afraid I'm too tight to heat it!

Cheers,

Gaz

Try massaging it with your finger 'oooh er' do see if you can wake up the faulty pixels?

Well, I've tried getting the panel warm and pressing on the outside, neither seems to have made any difference. It's getting gradually worse, if anything.

Found this post about the "pink shrimp" problem, which seems to confirm it's an LCD panel issue:

The Ultimate 'pink shrimp' Display Thread - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

The good news is, it appears you can buy the display on its own, as opposed to buying a whole cluster from MB. TBH, the mentioned figure of €80 is a rip-off too; I buy electronic components all the time for work, and that's a $10 display if ever I've seen one, but it's all relative I guess.

So, I'll live with it for now, but I might pay the friendly local garage to pop the cluster out for me when it's time to sort it. Each to their own, they've got much more experience in ripping out dashboards but I can do the electronic side - those flat flexi cables need a delicate touch and I'm not sure the sausage fingered mechanics possess that.. ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

Good luck Gaz.

Let us know how you get on.

Ant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom