Bit of a strange measurement request...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TaxiAdam

Car
Mercedes Vito Traveliner CDI 108
Bear with me I hope this makes some sense.

Bought a second hand Vito CDI 108 yr 2002 for Taxi purposes – it was previously being used as a taxi but in a different town with probably smoother roads.

I often transport 7 passengers and the rear suspension is proving an absolute nightmare – even with the slightest bit of weight over a small pothole/bump it bottoms out – metal on metal horrendous knocking sound followed by moans and groans off customers (beyond the standard “HOW MUCH?”)
I personally think this van has been lowered to help with the wheelchair access so here are my two questions...

1) If this van has been lowered and I want it raised back up say six inches will I need to replace all the springs – or is it more of just an adjustment?

2) The current gap (no passengers) between the wheel and the inner wheel arch is 4 inches (10 centimetres) - is this normal – has someone got an unmodified 2002 CDI 108 somewhere they can just quickly measure, because it just seems unbelievable considering these vehicles are designed as “work horses”.

Also a few separate inspections have revealed nothing wrong mechanically which has made the problem even more infuriating.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Adam

Six inches is a long way to raise any vehicle.
You should be able to buy spring pads, but they usually only have a range of around 5-20mm so if you want to go higher than that, it's new springs.

If comparing height with other Vito's, the best way is to measure fron the centre of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch.

Thank you - measured it like you said - fourteen inches from centre to top of wheel arch nearside - and about 13.5 inches on the off side.

Latest developments - dealership inspection booked in as suggested by my local garage.

For heavy duty springs (merc don't do them for this vehicle so would have to be alternative provider) plus new shocks £505 inc VAT and labour so the mechanic said considering its 11 years old and has done 237k might be a case of the springs have "sagged" through the years and he'd rather I go and get checked at dealership to help ensure that it will definitely solve the problem.

I think this is probably the case and hopefully I can simply replace the rear springs and shocks and solve the problem.

If anyone does get a chance to measure their centre wheel to the top of the wheel arch can they let me know what measurement they get (rear end).

For example same age VW transporter 16" and runs absolutely fine on the same roads.

Thanks,

Adam

Are you sure its on springs?

Most seated Vitos have air bags

Definitely springs buddy, 2002 springs with central shocks - think the more modern ones have the airbags - will happily invest in the bags if I ever get the thing on the road long enough to make some money out of it! Ha!

All sorted (well back end at least) - new springs (merc standard) plus vat and labour total £280 but should last me a while - turns out the old springs were yellow so no idea what make they were but as soon as there was any weight in the back it was practically scraping along the floor.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Adam :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom