Bit sad, little rust marks can't be sorted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lisa110rry

Car
1999 SLK Kompressor and a Honda CRV (the latter gone but not forgotten)
Hello, member Chrishazle, on another forum answered my thread about giving myself a treat. He suggested a colour rectification thingy for swirl marks and a interior detail on my little car. Wonderful idea! But I thought it would be a good idea to have the little rusty spots sorted on my little green car. Tonight after work I went to the local (well respected) body shop. I know this person, having lived in the same village 30 years and he is well disposed to help me as I supported him in a planning issue. Sadly, he said he could never match the colour as it was too faded on one side compared to the other. The only alternative is a full respray in Designo Electric Green which would cost me about £2100 - more than half what I paid for the car! My questions... 1. The Greenie has 96,500-ish miles on her, I dare say no new timing chain, would I be a fool to even consider it since I cannot do any repairs myself? 2. If I do decide to invest this money, will a complete respray be considered to be dodgy as people will think there's been a horrible accident? 3. Should I completely reconsider my decision to sell her if she becomes expensive? Please give me your thoughts, I've no idea what to do. She is not perfect, but at a distance, cruising through Southport, she does get some looks, and I love her as a joke really.

Lisa don't worry about the chain mine has 95k on and the chain is like new you will hear it when it needs attention.

Find yourself a decent painter that colour paint on your car is made by the company I work for one of our partner companies will be able to paint the rust spots and blend it so you cant see. I can ask the automotive paint director for a recommendation in the north west if you want?

Sent using Tapatalk

Follow Flango's advice - I had some paint done on my 1992/3 968 cab just after I bought her, and you can't tell the difference despite her being a non-standard 968 colour!

I would just drive it and enjoy a bit of cheap flashy motoring.

Our SLK has plenty of dodgy bits on the bodywork now but, for the money it's currently worth, it's a ton of fun and looks great from a distance.

Flango's advice sounds good.

Oh yes please Flango!!!! My initial thoughts were running toward having it done (along with the wheels) over the winter period when she stays in the garage, so no hurry.

House of Kolor, Custom Car Paint do a range of paints that might suit. To be honest the r170 doesn't enjoy a good rep for rust and your few little rust spots [ unless damage chips] may simple be the harbinger of worse to come. If you can get a decent paint match to touch up the areas fine but a full respray is simply not a sensible proposition for a car that age. Where the rust is located is also pertinent- where you can get away with paint repairs on wing wheel arch on the centre of the bonnet is a different matter.

CarolineCar04.jpg

Yes, Lewy's is not bad either. But one of the spots in particular does me head in! Smaller than a 5 pence piece but in the most obvious place!

OMG!!!!! Is that your car? Is that vehicle in the UK? This is amazing. When I bought the car I emailed Daimler Benz about the number in this model in this colour and they said they couldn't be sure but thought it was the only one.

We really should get them together for a drive one day.

Oh yes please Flango!!!! My initial thoughts were running toward having it done (along with the wheels) over the winter period when she stays in the garage, so no hurry.

Ian gives good advice - STG! (Save The Greenie)

(You are trying to find an excuse to get an R171 aren't you? :bannana: ;) )

OMG!!!!! Is that your car? Is that vehicle in the UK? This is amazing. When I bought the car I emailed Daimler Benz about the number in this model in this colour and they said they couldn't be sure but thought it was the only one.

We really should get them together for a drive one day.

Not mine taken from this post:-
DESIGNO ELECTRIC GREEN SLK - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

ps you are correct they are a very rare car in that colour.

Ahhh...darn it. I had thoughts of a holiday to Perthshire and a little run out. Some people would no doubt think they were seeing double!

Edit: possibly correct Gollom!

Lisa

Great advice here from our fellow members. My experience on my 124 which is Willow Green - metallic, from the factory.

I tried to have some panels blown-in/corrected and it just did not work. To the casual glance it would look fine. But sat in sunlight and it would be immediately obvious to the untrained eye that it was a blow-in.

So then I looked at having a stock respray using the existing paint as a base but obviously having it flatted first. My paint guy was unhappy with this for several reasons. The main issue was the simple size of the car (very long) he was just not happy that it would look good in the Willow Green. Any defect was likely to be amplified by the colour and its reflective tones.

The final solution was to go for a full bare metal re-spray using the original Glassurit paint and lacquer.

Yes it was worth it to see the finished result. But you need to love the car and want to keep it as I suspect that you would struggle to recover your costs at re-sale.

Good paint shops can be very hard to find. Go on recommendation and viewings of their work rather than what they say or have photographs of.

Their are 1000's of people who have claimed to find the miracle cure for rust. Once they have your money your rust will return. The only cure is to cut it out and then keep the car dry and warm.

Good luck. It's a lovely looking car you have there and deserves to be looked after.

Thank you for taking the time Bruce. I appreciate it.

I just don't think I can justify a bare metal respray financially. You are quite right about value. I do love the little thing, but I'm a practical woman, and paying over half what I paid for the car for a full respray (probably not a bare metal respray at that) is not sensible. The areas that bother me most are a small area on the roof between the OSR little window and the back window and a small area of rust on the top of the roof. There is also a little bit of rust at the bottom of one of the wheel arches. I suppose the whole roof could be done?

I've decided to make a list of things to be done including the wheels, the brakes (brake light came on yesterday, so I'm told I have 1000 miles-ish in which to book it in), one of the window winding mechanisms, down to minor things like a rear numberplate replacement because it has a sort of blackish stain on it.

Edit: Just saw the picture! Wow, it certainly is a long car! Lovely colour!

Lisa

This is a sensible approach. Sensible went out the window with 124 ownership.

A "good" paint shop can do great things with paint matching. It's all down to swage lines, breaks, door shuts & gaps. Anywhere that breaks the flow of the cars panel can be used to hide a small difference in colour. I never had my roof painted ;ˆ)

Why? Well on he 124 Wagon that is headliner out, then all the roof rails have to come off(they are structural). So it adds about another £600 to the job. My paint guy lost the colour change between the body and the roof by painting up to the roof swage lines where you also have the break with the roof rails (not bars). I notice it, because I know about it. But others just see the car and don't notice unless I point it out.

Cars like yours will live on and be future classics giving you and yours lot's of fun. I would urge you to do a bit as and when you can afford to. Try and keep the car as dry and clean as is possible as that will help delay any spread of rot. Collonite wax is also a great protector of paint (it lasts months) it disperses water and can be used on paint and rubber seals etc without staining. Another good trick - honestly - Is to use a powerful leaf blower to dry off the car after a wash. It gets the water out of the crevices that you cannot reach and amuses your neighbours. You just can't beat a good blow job.

Lisa: This may be a way to travel but could be very worth the journey. These are the guys who do all my cars now and have never let me down. This includes my Tanzanite Blue C55 Wagon (difficult paint to match).

If you decide to speak to them then ask for Samir and mention Bruce. If Samir is not there then still mention me or ask me and I will help you out with them.

http://www.vsse.co.uk/

Last edited:
Lol Bruce! She lives in a large, brick-built garage from 1 October to 31 March each year, unheated but airy, with a pitched roof - more like a bungalow than a garage, it was built to house an "Inspector Morse-type" Jaguar. She is also attached to the C-Tek float battery charger that I requested for my birthday and to which the Honda is attached at present.

Looking at my list, it also includes purchasing an OS rear light cluster as the fitting in mine is corroded which means when I go over a bump the "light failure" bulb goes on. Very annoying as it stays on (brake light) but the lamp itself is functional. I also want my centre console painted, but this weekend I'm kicking off with using the gummi pflege that arrived during the week.

Washing and polishing are not on the list as they are done frequently!

eta: not using the gummi pflege on the centre console obviously, but on the rubbers.

Last edited:
I've bookmarked that website Bruce, but 6.5 hours driving to get there! We shall see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom