Bit smoky W124 300TD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddingtonfire

Car
1992 W124 300TD Estate & 1982 W123 280TE
Afternoon all, just a question really and after some help.. 1992 300TD W124 estate (OM603).

The old girl sailed through her MoT this week with my friendly tester. I am noticing though some smoke coming out the back, especially when I kick down, or put my foot down a bit. Yes I know it's done 200k +, and I have recently resolved a fuel issue with the help of you guys, but I was wondering whether I should get some diesel flush or additive into her? I've got a bill for the injectors being replaced in 2011, and there are no other issues with her to my knowledge.

Thanks in advance chaps,

Mike

Does yours have an EGR system? My OM 606 does, and simply blocking the vacuum pipe with a ball bearing and also putting in a blocking plate (with extra gasket) in the reflow pipe cured its smoking. Also a high miler by the way.

Afternoon all, just a question really and after some help.. 1992 300TD W124 estate (OM603).

The old girl sailed through her MoT this week with my friendly tester. I am noticing though some smoke coming out the back, especially when I kick down, or put my foot down a bit. Yes I know it's done 200k +, and I have recently resolved a fuel issue with the help of you guys, but I was wondering whether I should get some diesel flush or additive into her? I've got a bill for the injectors being replaced in 2011, and there are no other issues with her to my knowledge.

Thanks in advance chaps,

Mike

Bung a bottle of Forte Diesel Treatment in the tank and go for a good blat. What you have is not something to worry about as you have passed MoT and that would have shown up any major issues.
My old 124 (same engine as yours) would chuck a bit of black stuff out now and again especially if I asked it to "do" something. And of course if it is dark and someone is following you closely with their headlights on the "smoke" you see in their headlights as you lay down the law is not to be worried about either.

I do mine a couple of times a year is all.

*update*

Put the Forte stuff in, drove 100 miles to London and I don't know if its in my mind but it appears so much smoother and the tickover seems to have raised slightly. At 60-70 mph the pickup is much nicer... Cheers John, much appreciated.

Mike

The first time I used kickdown in my s124 was in Sweden accelerating to join a dual carriageway on the sliproad (I floored the accelerator). The clouds of soot behind me were a sight to behold. Funny really as in normal unstressed use no smoke at all.

*update*

Put the Forte stuff in, drove 100 miles to London and I don't know if its in my mind but it appears so much smoother and the tickover seems to have raised slightly. At 60-70 mph the pickup is much nicer... Cheers John, much appreciated.

Mike

Pleasure. Its grand stuff. I use 1 bottle into the tank every six months or so. I always stick one in just before MoT and whistle it through the system. Tune up Italiano style ;)

Evening all, my stopping the engine problem is now sorted, but I've just been speaking to a mate here who belted it past me last week on the M11 and said I was a little smoky. I said about my Forte treatment but he then remarked the smoke had a blue-ish tinge to it. Now that immediately makes me think piston rings? Another fuel related issue that could possibly be related is that my number 6 and 4 injectors appear to have a bit of diesel around them. Before I delve into this, can anyone offer and opinion or remedy please.... For info my injectors were replaced 18 months ago....

Thanks all,

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom