Bitdefender internet security 2012/2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Any fans of the Bitdefender Internet Security 2012 or the shortly to be released 2013 out there? The pros and mags seem give it good reviews but user reviews seem to be mixed? http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/soluti...7530&utm_term=bitdefender total security 2012 I have to confess I had second thoughts when I heard the company were Romania based --- but on the principle of poacher turned gamekeeper maybe not a bad thing. :dk: I reckon all the best hackers come from behind the old iron curtain countries.;)

Last edited:
I'm sticking with Microsoft Security Essentials for my home pc's given that it works quite well and is free... not heard much about bitdefender to be honest

I'm sticking with Microsoft Security Essentials for my home pc's given that it works quite well and is free... not heard much about bitdefender to be honest

This. + auto update on and non trivial passwords. And don't click on dodgy emails or downloads.

Looks as if Bitdefender is a bit of an endangered species then??

To be fair, with the Microsoft product being very good (and free) you have to question the future viability of any paid for AV software out there.

Sure the likes of Symantec and McAfee all claim that the MS product is no good but they would say that wouldn't they.

Indeed out of all the AV software I have ever used, the MS stuff has given me the least trouble.

I have to confess I had second thoughts when I heard the company were Romania based --- but on the principle of poacher turned gamekeeper maybe not a bad thing. :dk: I reckon all the best hackers come from behind the old iron curtain countries.;)

A lot of security technology is coming out of these places these days.

You have Kaspersky who are Russian for example, these guys from Romania and a lot of the enterprise security stuff is coming out of Israel. The list goes on but it doesn't make it bad

Last edited:
+1 for MS Security Essentials from me too.

Microsoft have really made great improvements to security in recent years and SE is one of the best AV products, as it's free I always recommend this to friends & family.

It us difficult to justify paid antivirus for home users with the vast array of free offerings from the likes of Ms, AVG,Kaspersky, ESET NOD32 etc.

This is in spite of the fact that many Windows laptops and desktop these days come with a 90-day Norton or McAfee subscription which the user is expected to extend once the original period expires.

And, while some providers only provide their AV for free, but charge for malware protection, for full malware and spyware protection I prefer to us MalwareBytes in addition to a standard antivirus anyway.

But it is a different story for businesses and organisations. The free products are usually only a minimised element of the manufacturer's full security suite (e.g. Microsoft MSE is a cut-down version of the client-side product off their Forefront server range).

For one thing, the freebies are stripped off the central management console making the product very difficult to deploy (and maintain) in a multi-workstation environment.

For another, these freebies have no real developers' support other than through online forums (no offence intended), not ideal when you have a virus outbreak with multiple sites affected and the IT Director breathing down on your neck for a quick solution...

Last edited:
Any fans of the Bitdefender Internet Security 2012 or the shortly to be released 2013 out there? The pros and mags seem give it good reviews but user reviews seem to be mixed? http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/soluti...7530&utm_term=bitdefender total security 2012

Used it from 2006 to around 2010 and it was fine. But after that I found it tripped up stuff I was doing and gone down the Norton route of being quite intrusive - rather than just working it has to pop up stuff and tell you it's working.

I switched to MSE. Not perfect either. But seems less intrusive.

Any fans of the Bitdefender Internet Security 2012 or the shortly to be released 2013 out there? The pros and mags seem give it good reviews but user reviews seem to be mixed?
I don't trust the magazines anymore, but I do recommend these professionals: AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: May/Jun 2012

They are independent and unbiased and have extensive tests for every AV product out there.

Also remember that AV products do change every year, so if you want the best you need to stay on top of the subject.

I use Avira Internet Security 2012, only because they were the best, but I foolishly took out a 2 year 3 user subscription. They have since slipped down the rankings.

Bit Defender seems to rate highly, as does AVG, and that's free!

Oh, and don't forget to backup your important data reguarly. A newly released virus could catch you out for the first couple of days after its release.

I use Spideroak https://spideroak.com/ for this tedious task, and if you keep below 2Gb its free and its 'real time' backup, ie. 10 seconds after you have saved that important letter it's backed up online, and out of harms way! Safe and sound backup 'set and forget' - it suits me just fine :D

Cheers :)

i'm another MSE fan. I've also tried AVG and Avast Free. Both are also good, although Avast seems a little heavyweight for an AV tool. We had an outbreak at work a few years back, and ForeFront (corporate version of MSE) was the only AV in use within the company that picked up the rogue software. Luckily we were testing the product at the time! Anyway, I'd advise anyone to 1) Stick clear of Norton products. They're a pain in the ass in my experience and 2) never follow any link that says you're PC is at risk unless it came from your (reputable) AV application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom