Biting the bullet, which transmission Fluid is best for 722.6 box?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

golden1245

Car
1999 C230K Sport
Hello everyone,

I'm going to bite the bullet and attempt to do a "drain and fill" on my w202 c230k's auto box sans TC fluid change. Even with Olly's instructions, that part just looks too confusing with the banjo bolt etc. Already purchased dipstick, filter, gasket, drain plug o-ring, electronics bushing and a thermometer.

I'm about to buy 5 liters of fluid but just wanted to check in with you guys to make sure. I've narrowed it down to this Fuchs brand that is for the new transmissions and also certified on the MB spec sheet. I've heard using the new fluid in the old 722.6 boxes allow for smoother performance.

Amazon.com: Fuchs ATF 4134 MB Spec 236.14 & 236.12 ATF 134 (1 Liter Bottle): Automotive

Is this any good or should I stick with Shell or Mercedes' stuff? Thank you in advance from reading :)

FROM FUCHS WEBSITE FOR YOUR MODEL OF CAR.

Capacity: Capacity 8 liter
Use: Normal
Intervals: Check 30000 km
Products: TITAN ATF 4134

FUCHS fluids are factory fill for many Mercedes Models. It's entirely possible that the MB fluid is made by Fuchs anyway. The ATF 4134 will be fine.

I have only ever used the fluid specified from MB, why use anything else, just to save a few pounds, in your very expensive transmission?

No need for a thermometer, just go for a long drive to get the car FULLY up to normal temp (80 to 90 degrees) and then check the level (which is not as 'critical' as some make out).

On your year, you might possibly have a drain plug on the torque converter (they were discontinued circa 1999/2000), if you do have a tc plug then you dont need to undo banjo bolts, etc and should drain around 6 litres or so, otherwise, no tc plug means about 4 ltrs drained.

MB don't make oil, ATF, brake fluid, ZHM & many other types of fluid & / or parts. Anything that meets or exceeds the specification is fine.

MB oil only
Did a transmission oil change using Mobil oil - shop said same specification as MB, cheaper.
After 1000 miles my gear box was dead
Since then only and only MB

MB oil only
Did a transmission oil change using Mobil oil - shop said same specification as MB, cheaper.
After 1000 miles my gear box was dead
Since then only and only MB

Only MB eh! Could you tell us who makes the oil because MB certainly dont :confused:

Only MB eh! Could you tell us who makes the oil because MB certainly dont :confused:

I dont think anyone here is suggesting that MB actually manufactures the oil, but the point is that by buying it from MB, it ensures that you are using the correct spec oil that MB intended to be used in their transmissions.

I dont think anyone here is suggesting that MB actually manufactures the oil, but the point is that by buying it from MB, it ensures that you are using the correct spec oil that MB intended to be used in their transmissions.
As does any automatic transmission fluid that meets or exceeds the official MB approval for that gearbox 236.14 surely?
While what you say is true it does not negate the alternative and possibly cheaper fluid available from other sources? I am slightly puzzled as to why people think autogearboxes are somehow developed in "empty" isolation and then at the end the gearbox manufacturer looks around for a suitable fluid to put in them? My guess is that in the design process there is extremely close collaboration between fluid manufacturer and gearbox manufacturer. Mercedes gearboxes are made in the Stuttgart-Untertuerkheim plant which is a mere 143 kilometers from FUCHS PETROLUB AG headquarters in Mannheim- With a traditionally oriented German company like MB I reckon you can work out the rest.;)

Fortunately we have moved on from the early days when automatic transmission fluid was 95% Sperm Whale oil :eek: :eek: which was almost pure ester . This stopped with the Endangered Species Act of 1973 which stopped the slaughter of thousands of whales every year--- this prompted the development of artificial fluids with the same chemical/mechanical properties which was sensible as well as humane since the whales were a somewhat " diminishing resource" anyway.:doh:

ps I would never deign to tell anyone what to put in their car autobox- its their car-- its always their choice--- just want it to be an "informed" choice

Last edited:
thank you very much for the responses. I've made the decision to just go with Fuchs, especially after Grober's comment about Fuchs and Mercedes factories being right next to each other.

Thanks!

I am sure the Fuchs ATF will be fine. They are indeed a reputable company.

However... Fuchs also make great engine oil, and yet MB buy theirs from Petronas in Malaysia - not sure the physical distance is really a major factor when making these kind of global commercial decisions.

The 722.6 transmission needs MB Spec 236.14

Check this MB Extranet site for approved fluids. MB 236.14 - Automatic transmission fluids (ATF, Specification 236.14) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids
thats a brilliant link / bit of knowledge. I hope since it was originally posted, its been added to some database for everyone! Amazing that the link still works too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom