Bitter vs Lager

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As an older person I remember the famous Newcastle Brown Ale advert "most women prefer lager" though Maxim has always been a better pint than "dog" but that's splitting hairs. As for Budweiser... its made from rice. And since the Leeds brewery closed Tetleys comes from Warrington and its not so good. Black Sheep takes a bit of beating particularly if its draught. The two saddest words in the English language are according to Kingsley Amis "red or white". Whiskey or whisky is fine with me but that Jack Daniels stuff is rubbish, not a whiski at all, just a mixer for cola.

Ruddles County Bitter
Tanglefoot Bitter
Draught Guiness

Sometimes they are mixed together.

An occasional lager or gin and tonic and I get through around 6, bottles of Merlot a year.

Bitter is my weapon of choice, I have however participated in some strange brews in equally strange places. Home made gin mixed with antifreeze in Norway (with a dash of pepper). Newcastle brown ale on my cornflakes (ran out of milk) Blood and milk in Africa (both were warm and fresh) I admit to feeling a tad queezy after just a mouthful of that. There must be more but my mind is not what it once was....:)

Ruddles County Bitter
Tanglefoot Bitter

Ruddles isn't a patch on when it was actually brewed by Ruddles, it's now just another Green King session beer. I was once given a full pack of County when visiting Ruddles. I guess they liked me...:D

Tanglefoot is pretty good as are most of the other Badger beers.

I like a premium lager, preferably French or Belgian, in France in a small, cold glass on a hot, sunny day.

Strongbow, Guinness or Becks Vier/Stella 4 on a 'sesh' in the pub.

Very decent French white when at home with he OH. Love red but it seems to love me less as I get older.

I'm 42

Only good red for me unfortunately. Wish it wasn't. Costs me too much and restricts where I can go. I can have a pint or two of lager on it's own but if I mix then it's game over.
Never used to be when I was 25.
Hangovers have got worse as I have got older.

Doom Bar from Cornwall.
Failing that one of the many Belgian Abbey beers although most now belong to some huge corporation such as Interbrew.
If it has to be lager then Cisk from Malta

In Yorkshire bitter isn't a drink, its a way of life:)

If a man walks to the bar and orders a wine of some description for himself, the music (quite literally) stops in the WMC where I go.

Ruddles isn't a patch on when it was actually brewed by Ruddles, it's now just another Green King session beer. I was once given a full pack of County when visiting Ruddles. I guess they liked me...:D

Tanglefoot is pretty good as are most of the other Badger beers.

I was once given a full case of bitter by an old guy that bought my Granada 2.5TD Estate from me.
He worked at the brewery and was pleased as punch with the car. You have one guess where he was getting his diesel from. ;)

On a recent visit to a warehouse (I'd been to size up the Containex Building) I saw these Fosters Lager tins stacked up rack after rack. I can't even guess how many were there. They were all empty awaiting delivery to the brewery, though. :rolleyes:

MBF1February16th2012002.jpg

any beer will do just to forget my rust problems :dk: over 50+

Youngs Special when it was brewed in Wandsworth. Once bought a barrel for a party and didnt recover for nearly a week.
Enjoy Fullers London Pride/ESB, Theakstons Old Peculier and Wadworths 6X.

Real ale......I am over 30 yrs.

Always taken the view that lager needs to be chilled to be palatable because most have no real taste.....for girls really.

Mic

I really only dring a good vintage cider, although a good northern bitter is often very palatable.
I also brew my own cider - usually from apple juice that is on offer at Sainsburys/Tesco, although I have done it from my own apple tree.

Irish whiskeys are nice and VERY smooth,but IMHO there is nothing like a smoky single malt - Laphroaig, Talisker are my favourites - Laphroig for its sheer breadth of taste, and Talisker for its personality.

Over the last few years I've also taken a bit of a liking for bourbon, much as I hate to admit it. Woodford reserve by Labrot and Graham is simply stunning (you DO need a splash of water to fully enjoy it) but the flavours are as I said just stunning. When I drink it I actually prefer it to whisky.

As for lager I just don't get it. I comes out the same as it went in. Even on a hot day in summer, it just doesn't do it for me.

Ted.
Old fart
Rapidly approaching 60 and growing old disgracefully.

View attachment 28286

Just found a photo of one of my recent brews (excuse the smalls on the line). Prolly more alcohol there than that big load of fosters posted above ;)

Last edited:
Cocktails......I am over 30 yrs.

Always taken the view that lager needs to be chilled to be palatable because most have no real taste.

Mic

Fixed that for you!

After tiring of my feminine side when things get too gassy, I like a bit of....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom