Bizarre noise from dash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_player

I seem to be getting a strange clicking/banging noise coming from somewhere within the dash.

It only happens when I first start and it does this about 6 times with a couple of seconds delay between each one and then stops. There is no malfunctions on the computer and the car seems to work fine ???

Any ideas ?????

Ben.

Most of the articles seem to relate to the C class, is it the same on the W209 ?

Ok, think this is probably beyond me to sort out myself. Although there is a guide on mbworld, this instuctions relate to the c-class and assume that you know which stepper motor it is.

Any idea how much MB would charge to fix this, or if there are any specific CLK instructions out there ?? Or maybe someone in the NW of England who has done this before

Many Thanks

Ben.

the stepper motors fit on to the heater box thay alter the flaps inside,

i think there are 9 of them alltogether

you can sometimes get away with only stripping some of the dash but mostly you will need the dash out

get the codes read it should bring a fault up in the heating system and tell you which one/ones are faulty

Main dealer wants about 10 hours to do this, or in other words loads of money.
A great piece of engineering

lol, the good old stepper motor, i have fixed plenty of them! not that hard to do but time consuming do a search i did a how to a while back.

Cheers guys - sounds like a quality problem to have... NOT!

I've done quite a serach looking for stuff like this but everything relates to the W203 (C-class ??) and nothing for the W209. Just need a pointer in the right direction for any differences that I may encounter... and how to identify which motor it is...

Cheers guys - sounds like a quality problem to have... NOT!

I've done quite a serach looking for stuff like this but everything relates to the W203 (C-class ??) and nothing for the W209. Just need a pointer in the right direction for any differences that I may encounter... and how to identify which motor it is...

Afraid I cant help with the 203 same as 209 question but does this only happen on start up? I only say this because as far as I know the vents auto close when you turn off the engine/remove the key then auto open when you do the reverse. Its usually a broken tooth in a cog thats all, which doesnt usually stop the flaps from working correctly.

If you manually control the a/c from then on the flaps will only move when you change a setting. In "Auto" you would hear the faulty flap/motor quite often.

A lot of hassle for a small part I'm guessing?

Portzy.

w209 and the w203 share some of the same components, and are simmilar in terms of some of the set-up the car that suffers the most from this common problem is the w203 and i have fixed atleast 12, some are easy to get to as they are to the front of the dash other are more time consuming as they are facing the bulk head and require a complete strip of the dash, but the dealer prices are over inflated its about a 4 hour job max that includes my many cups of tea, head scratching and occational eye candy viewing. the part is about £100 merc want another £1400 for labour!

Sounds like a right pain in the ****. I've got it booked into my local mercedes independent in Warrington on Monday to read the computer codes to find out which motor it is and give me a quote....

Well apparently it is the driver foot actuator panel or something... should be getting a price tomorrow...

Any know if this is one of the ones that can be done at home easy or is it dash out job ???

i think thats the one thats low down and you can get to... but still fiddly..

well i can say in in the drivers footwell area! as jaymanek said, but anything is possible, just need the patience. let us prices and know how you get on

Well as from yesterday, I've got the same problem too! (dash clicks on start-up), looks like the foot area for me because when I select foot area only on the dial it seems to insist on blowing a lot of air up the windscreen instead. the_player let us know how you get on with your quote, and merc man you seem pretty gened up on this, presumably I should get this looked at sooner rather than later what with the weather improving the occaisional eye candy will only add a few more hours onto the job from what I can gather ;)

Been quoted £500 plus parts. Probably a hell of a lot cheaper than MB, but still an awful sting for an annoying clicking noise...

Are there any ways just to stop the clicking/guides to do it yourself for a W209 ????

Ben.

Yes it is tremendous amount for a clicking noise!! - its really annoying me every time I get in the car now - when I close the door I really don't want some irritating noise to spoil my ambience. If you have the 'how to' for the w203 I would have thought it would be fairly similar for the w209? I'm sure someone will correct me otherwise -merc man?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom