Bizarre question re demisting....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Be gentle with me!

Sue's CLK does not direct enough warm air to the windscreen to demist - I understand this is a common issue and due to a damaged cog deep within the dashboard. Of course it is the most inaccessible part possible and repair involves dismantling just about the whole dashboard to get at it (behind the X-member of the dash) Way beyond me to sort and you can imagine just how much it would be to get done by a shop! Some forums have suggested well over £700 (the part is about £40!) She does not do much mileage at all

Is there (here comes the bizarre bit) an aftermarket bit of kit that would sit on top of the dash to be used when needed? I'm guessing there would be for people restoring very old cars that did not have it in the first place, but unlikely nowadays I'm sure

Have you tried the Max button Steve? Centre part of one of the 4 rotary buttons bottom of the cantre console area IIRC. I have also seen 112v demisters that sit on the top of the dash and plug into the fag lighter, probably in one of those little advertising mags that come with the weekend papers (Scots of Stowe or similar).

I've got one of those ceramic fan heater things.... in my experience they simply aren't powerful enough to be useful. I used to work with someone who would place a household fan heater in his car and run a mains cable to it, to warm the cabin and demist the windows before he got in and started it. It didn't sound particularly safe or convenient to me, but each to his own.

I useed to drive various cars which I did not own,and I carried a windscreen cleaning pad that could reach the whole windscreen from the drivers seat, they are on ebay 284508303617 is very similar

Lots of others on there pal
200W from 12v DC equates to almost 17 amps - so how good is the wiring to whatever that plugs into?? If the wiring will take it (questionable) how long would it take to flatten the battery if used engine off - especially if the battery is less than fully charged initially!

There are window demisting mops available that have long handles and are shaped to get down close to the top of the dash, might be a better option (and somewhat safer for Suziecute!!).

Edit - Zipdip and I were typing at the same time, the item he's given the link to is exactly the sort of thing I mentioned!!

Does the heater provide adequate hot air for the footwell and face vents?

Have you tried replacing the pollen and charcoal filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom