bl@@dy leaks w124 coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gt-83

Car
1992 300ce
i seem to be having them all of late. the coupe, first crankshaft oil seal last november (not too bad), then timing chain cover last december (not an easy seal).......couple of months ago weeping from water pump, on the advice of members bought new pump and sat the car in the garage for a couple of weeks till i have time to fix......well just now moved the car and guess what ....another leak!,,,,,petrol dripping quite quickly from the underneath, enough to make a big puddle in a couple of minutes!....about two feet in front of the fuel tank, will investigate in the morning.....any 124 fans who may know where its from?......im hoping just a connection in the lines?

im confused, removed the plastic tray earlier, which is where the dripping(almost dribbling) was coming from yesterday,started the car and nothing..........not one drip, ive had it running for 20 minutes or so......ticking over and revving hard.........nothing......im no expert but i do know a leak doesnt fix itself......anyone?

My guess is that your leak is on the input side of the pump which is essentially gravity fed from the tank. When the pump is running it will provide enough suction to prevent a leak. Maybe only when its sitting will the head pressure of petrol from the tank cause a leak. Best to leave it sitting for an hour without the pump running and then check all the unions and hoses .

thanks graeme, it had sat for a couple of weeks, but only leaked when i started it........and was dripping while running, when i turned it off it stopped! (yesterday)

OK then it sounds as if its leaking when the system is pressurised by the pump. System pressure remains for a period after the engine is switched off so you then have a system under pressure with no demand from the engine. Most likely place for a leak will be the flexible pipes to and from the fuel filter secured by screw clips since these joints are broken when the filter is changed. other possibility is a split hose or a leak from the banjo union metal ring seals between the pump and filter.

:devil: :devil: nearly all day under the car, tray off so i can see every join.....not one drop.......frustrating as i can see the stains made yesterday (or earlier perhaps).....engine on ,engine off,on,off,on,off....nothing,yet almost dribbling yesterday:devil: :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom