Bl@@dy Springs Again..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickythemerc

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 220 CDI Sport 2009
Took the CLK into my mates place to use one of his ramps to do the annual oil and filter plus a general look round for anything else that needs attention. Front discs and pads are close to needing a change, but I have the new Brembo's on the shelf, front O/S spring fecked again...............:mad: I only did them 18 months back and done maybe 7K on them. I did both rears for the last MOT in January. Whilst the suppliers part number claimed to be an exact match for the MB part number the car sits a bit higher at the back than it should. I had decided to live with it but have now ordered all four springs from MB and have done with it. I am also renewing the sacrificial shims under the rears as they seem to have done their sacrificial duty.
So in the next week it will have all new springs and front disc's and pads, it has just had a water pump,tensioner and belt kit,clutch pulley, air con condenser last year with four new Dunlop Sport Max T2...:eek: What a lucky little car she is having all this money spent on her... Now where has my little lady gone ? No dinner for me then :( I did give her a very honest answer when she said "Sometimes I think that you care more about your cars than you do about me" The reply of and sometimes you are right may not have been the best one.

I feel your pain. A few years back you seldom heard of broken springs but now it’s a common occurrence.

I agree with your thoughts regarding your answer to your partner ( even if you were only being honest)

Modern springs normally fail from corrosion focussed internal stresss from being cold wound. 18 month failure [ appart from shock damage from kerbs or potholes] points to inferior quality or wrongly rated springs- what make or supplier were they from?

Sorry to hear about your springs! For some reason springs braking/failing on the 209 CLK seems to be a common occurrence across the range. Coupled with the fact they are a LOT of variants available from MB make it difficult to get the correct aftermarket ones. You have done the best thing by getting it from MB, IIRC they have different number of coloured dots in different colours to indicate which one you require, hopefully the end of your woes for a while.

On a different note, the fact that your little lady heard your comment, you can rest in the knowledge that there is nothing wrong with her hearing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom