Black bits on paintwork struggling to remove

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jordan12291257

Car
Mercedes CLA
With everything that is going on recently with coronavirus all hand car washes are closed so I have had to clean my car myself. However, I have cleaned it and can’t seem to remove some black marks from off the paintwork as my car is grey the sploges are quite visible if you look properly, they are only small but there are lots of them on the lower half of the doors, I’m not sure what this is and how to remove them? Hopefully someone can help please!

Almost certainly Tar spots.

There are many Tar spot removal compounds available.

White spirits or WD-40 will work, if you have some at home already :)

You can use white spirit although I recently saw someone using WD40 which did it very well.

One note of caution when it comes to tar spot removal: many of the spots will contain grit, so you need to be gentle in their removal, and ensure that they are as dissolved / soft as possible before gently wiping them otherwise you will create scratches in the paint.

My preferred tar remover (I had a white car, so gained lots of experience) is Autosmart Tardis. Spray the spots and allow to dwell before gently wiping with a microfibre cloth, then rinse the panel with shampoo and water.

Whatever tar remover you use it will strip wax from the paint too, so afterwards re-apply wax to the panel(s).

One note of caution when it comes to tar spot removal: many of the spots will contain grit, so you need to be gentle in their removal, and ensure that they are as dissolved / soft as possible before gently wiping them otherwise you will create scratches in the paint.

My preferred tar remover (I had a white car, so gained lots of experience) is Autosmart Tardis. Spray the spots and allow to dwell before gently wiping with a microfibre cloth, then rinse the panel with shampoo and water.

Whatever tar remover you use it will strip wax from the paint too, so afterwards re-apply wax to the panel(s).

Word of the day. Love it. :)

Petrol works well too :)

A lot of detailing products are overpriced. £10 for 325ml of tar remover. White spirit is about £1.60 for 750ml or usually found in the man cave (aka garage/shed!)

FWIW, most tar removers are mainly white spirit with one or two additives.

Main ingredient of the Autoglym tar remover...70-90% white spirit :cool:

Spend the ££ saved on a quality wax to apply once the tar is removed :thumb:

Gunk is also very good for this, use a little soaked on a rag and wax/polish afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom