Black ClS55 lacquer peel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MoS55

Car
CLS 55 AMG
After washing my black CLS55 this afternoon, I noticed 2 areas on the bonnet where the lacquer has peeled away :(. Is this a common issue? It hasn't peeled anywhere else on the car. Is the best solution to have the whole bonnet repainted?

I also noticed some rust on the inside of the rear wheel arches . Ive seen a few threads covering this already. Can you anyone recommend a good bodyshop in Beds/Herts/Bucks?

I'm wondering if it's time to repair and sell it, I love the car though!

Had the same on my S204, Chipsaway had a look and immediately said "complete bonnet respray", and in the 3-4 months I had to wait for the bodyshop to have time to do it (they're very good, very cheap and thus very busy!!) the peeling patch more than doubled in size. I also tried MB CS for a contribution (see my thread on Carneol Red Lacquer Peeling) and got precisely nowhere! Bonnet, roof and a small patch at the lower front of the rear NS wheel arch cost £600. If you were near Ashford Kent I'd recommend Vivid Visions, but it's be a bit awkward for you - they had our car for 2 days!

Thanks for the recommendation, Ashford is too far for me unfortunately. It's only on the bonnet so should be cheaper than what it cost you to repair. The rust on the inside wheel arches is more concerning, if I have it repaired theres's a good chance it'll return.

Get more than 1 quote. First off I went to the firm that did the repair of my 968 after a plonker moment when I ripped the front bumper and undertray off, they quoted £1100+, then based on local recommendations I went to Vivid Visions, who quoted (and charged) £500+VAT and did a superb job!

I got a few quotes today, local garages and a few further afield(bodyshops mentioned by forum members on here). I sent photos to Vivid Visions as well, was very impressed with their quote, they've asked me to pop down so that they can take a better look. Might do that next week, so thanks for the recommendation!

Finding them is a little interesting, they're on Henwood Industrial Estate up past the fire station on the right, about 150 yards past the fire station you turn in to the right and then have to drive completely round the one way system as they're the last unit before the entrance/exit, next door to Brewers.

It usually happens when there car has been repainted after a spot repair (maybe stone chips). Then new clear is applied over old clear. If the panel was not prepped properly, the clear will peel off after a few years.

Thanks Al, is rust on the inside wheel arches common? I was surprised to see it on the weekend, thought this was more prevalent on the w210s.

Thanks Al, is rust on the inside wheel arches common?

Not in Texas :D W210 look brand spanking new here. If the UK still salts roads in the winter then absolutely. You're getting a mixture of rock and salty slush kicking up in the wheel arches. Even galvanized steel will rust. As it's on the underside, I would suggest applying POR15. It sets up like concrete and makes a good seal.

It usually happens when there car has been repainted after a spot repair (maybe stone chips). Then new clear is applied over old clear. If the panel was not prepped properly, the clear will peel off after a few years.

This. Which is why a full panel respray is most likely recommended.

This. Which is why a full panel respray is most likely recommended.

Sometimes a spot repair is okay. Full resprays also have their problems as absolutely nothing is better than the factory paint. In Texas, you'll be lucky to get 5 years out of a (re)paint job if the cars parked outside. The UV just burns the clear off.

Sometimes a spot repair is okay. Full resprays also have their problems as absolutely nothing is better than the factory paint. In Texas, you'll be lucky to get 5 years out of a (re)paint job if the cars parked outside. The UV just burns the clear off.

Very true. The UK weather is much more forgiving. In Texas I have seen <10 year old factory paint with peeling lacquer (no it was not red!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom