Black Death on CLK 270 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy67

Car
CLK 270 CDI Avantgarde
Last Week could smell diesal coming into the car when heaters was on, so got it booked in for a B service At M-B Nottingham tom afternoon.

Today i thort i take the cover of the engine to check if i had this Black death,

and yep, I think i does, started the engine and can hear the chuf chuf and a little smoke coming from the second injector looking from the back of the engine. Also noticed that there was lack of power from the car and that my fuel gauge looked sick.

So have canceled the B service and they are going to check this out tommorrow instead.

What i like to know is, how much this would cost

Do you think they would reseal the injector and new bolts or sting me for new injector. looking at the photos it looks like just one as gone number 2 looking from the back, and that number 1 just as splash from 2, I hopein

Around a mth ago there was no black death.

These are independent

Andy67 said:
Last Week could smell diesal coming into the car when heaters was on, so got it booked in for a B service At M-B Nottingham tom afternoon.

Today i thort i take the cover of the engine to check if i had this Black death,

and yep, I think i does, started the engine and can hear the chuf chuf and a little smoke coming from the second injector looking from the back of the engine. Also noticed that there was lack of power from the car and that my fuel gauge looked sick.

So have canceled the B service and they are going to check this out tommorrow instead.

What i like to know is, how much this would cost

Do you think they would reseal the injector and new bolts or sting me for new injector. looking at the photos it looks like just one as gone number 2 looking from the back, and that number 1 just as splash from 2, I hopein

Around a mth ago there was no black death.

Looking at you pictures, its in its early stages & shouldn't cause any problems.
No more than an hours labour + bolt & washer.
Injector should be ok, unless tip is pitted, usually just washer or injector seat may need cutting.

Thanks you for the information will have to wait till tom to the verditc

Where one earth does this 'black death' term come from? Its a sealing issue, nothing more, nothing less.

From the appearance of the injector site,Looks as though a tarmac lorry has shed its load on the engine if it has been leaking for sometime.

Last edited:
From the appearance of the injector site,Looks as though a tarmac lorry has shed its load on the engine if it has been leaking for sometime.

Just leaky injectors from a poorly maintained engine. People should be looking under the bonnet more often. This phenomenon is nothing new, just a fancy new name.

Just leaky injectors from a poorly maintained engine. People should be looking under the bonnet more often. This phenomenon is nothing new, just a fancy new name.

Agree,but the average driver that does weekly under bonnet checks,will not notice anything as you have to remove the engine cover.

Agree,but the average driver that does weekly under bonnet checks,will not notice anything as you have to remove the engine cover.
Very good point, engine covers should be designed to be more easily removable. My current C270cdi covers are bolted on but my previous s211 covers were push fit. Are these covers really necessary?

My W211 cover is bolted too? And I remember that W204 might have push fit too. Perhaps it's dependent on what engine is.

I think 'Black death' comes from few horrifying cases where engine was not visible behind black tar, and according to amount of job that is needed to fix that...

I think engine covers are not needed, they are mostly for appearance, then they help some noise insulation and dust covering.

The engine covers do mask some of the sound as the chuffing is alot more audible once they are removed. My W210 is also bolted on and has torx screws, making it more difficult for the non-diyer, although MB would probably argue that anything under the cover should be attended to by MB themselves, or a qualified garage and not the owner.

As for the repair, get it done from a Merc indie who knows what they are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom