black death ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

munchausen

Car
2003 112 cdi
in process of buying a 2003 Cd112 Vito. was wondering. what is long term result if black death is undiagnosed and is its repair within the scope of the average home mechanic ? :confused:

Do you mean oil contamination or injector blow by?

If injector blow-by, the longer it has been left, the greater the risk of the alloy head having suffered seat erosion, otherwise there is no more of an issue, just more coke to remove.

+1

It looks terrible but the worst of it can be chipped away and removed and then cleaned up. Changing injector seals and even re-seating is within the capabilities of a home mechanic if you buy the right tools.

The stretch bolts and seals are relatively cheap, i paid less than £30 for mine. The bore cleaner was about, £20, the seal remover (not completely neccessary but useful) was £20, I even bough the head seating tool but fortunately never needed it.. The Grease you need is about £15 from Mercedes for a small pot.

If the Injectors won't come out after you twist them to brake the carbon deposit then a sliding hammer is the way to go - just be careful when you take the solenoid off not to lose the ballbearing.

I did see a company offering a complete "black death" de-coke service for ~£500 when i looked into it but I didn't need them as mine had literally JUST failed..

If you are looking to buy one, why even look at one that needs doing? Unless stupidly cheap, get the seller to sort it beforehand or look elsewhere

If you do need to change the injector seal, drive the car and make sure engine is hot, will make the black death easier to remove (will be like tar). Clean as much as you can, run engine again until hot and then remove the injector, it's easier to remove hot rather than cold

Sometimes we get carried away looking for a car, sleep on it and think again there are lots out there don't buy trouble even if it looks like a result, buy one without the trouble and enjoy it, keep clam buy well good luck and Happy New Year.

the thing is i have a disabled wife. and am looking for a wheelchair friendly van. the vito is cheap and may be quickest solution to my problem.

Latitude 19 South isn't going to be anywhere near SE London
Possibly South America, South Africa, or Northern Australia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom