Black gel Behind LCD screen in cluster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ataur_74

Car
Mercedes C class w203
I stupidly bought a Merc W203 with a damged LCD screen in the instrument cluster thinking I'd get it replaced/fixed on the cheap. Having a go at fixing it myself I opened up the cluster unit to discover the LED lights behind the cracked LCD display which had the ribbon connecting to the unit cut off aswell were covered up by some black gel. It appears the person I bought it from was trying to hide something on the display. After scraping off the black gel and using another clusters LCD display, it seems the mileage is what it's supposed to be. I don't understand why anybody wud do that..especially as the mileage isn't that high
Any explanation on covering the LED lights wud be appreciated
Many thanks

I stupidly bought a Merc W203 with a damged LCD screen in the instrument cluster thinking I'd get it replaced/fixed on the cheap. Having a go at fixing it myself I opened up the cluster unit to discover the LED lights behind the cracked LCD display which had the ribbon connecting to the unit cut off aswell were covered up by some black gel. It appears the person I bought it from was trying to hide something on the display. After scraping off the black gel and using another clusters LCD display, it seems the mileage is what it's supposed to be. I don't understand why anybody wud do that..especially as the mileage isn't that high
Any explanation on covering the LED lights wud be appreciated
Many thanks
Maybe to cover up a fault that was present 2 owners back which the last owner got repaired? With multiple owners you can inherit problems from way back?:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom