Black ice got the better of me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ibrar

Car
55 plate LWB Sprinter and soon to be C220 AMG Sport Plus
Was driving nicely and cosely last night until an unexpected sharp corner dawned upon me, had it all under control until I came across what I believe as black ice. Lost total control but managed to get the car side ways on, but unfortunately I smashed into the kerb, across grass and missed a tree by 1 foot. Mind you I was only doing 30mph! Anyway, continuing, I have a buckled alloy (AMG!!), and it seems to have gone from being horizontal to being inverted. Ouch, getting it taken to a garage tomorrow morning to see the full extent of the damage.....not looking forward to it. But on the bright side, I do have a brand new ford focus as a courtesy car! :bannana:

Wheels can be replaced................. glad to hear that you're not damaged:rock:

I doubt its on a wheel. Its going to hit me hard and my extravagent student lifestyle:crazy:

I'd Say 30mph Sidewayz Into Curb More Than A Buckle Wheel Wishbone Probably Dead Plus Suspension Must Of Had A Shunt ??
30mph Whoooah Lucky U Never Hurt Ur Self Id Say 400 Quids Worth Of Damage ??

All very true all true. I roughly understand thats its going to be a wishbone/lower shoulder arm but definitly a buckled wheel. Im hoping for £200-£300 worth (without the wheel) if im lucky.

You were lucky there was a kerb, I did something similar 5 years ago and rolled my car :(

There are pics on the forum if you search...

Glad to see you're still here to post!

See if the Focus will take the corner any quicker!:D

It has been very greasy the last few days, yesterday I thought in particular. I think the roads currently are slippery enough to catch people out without black ice, caution and appropriete speed very much required.

Black ice for sure would catch you out.

As graham says - the strange weather conditions of the last few days have made the roads really bad - lots of roundabouts near my home and it's a mix of understeer and oversteer on all of them!

I concur - Edna's behaving very erratically atm so steady as she goes around those bends and at junctions too.Glad you're Ok and it's only the car that's a bit bent.

I concur - Edna's behaving very erratically atm so steady as she goes around those bends and at junctions too.Glad you're Ok and it's only the car that's a bit bent.

Well drive slower then :devil:

Never a traffic cop around when you need one...... :D :D :D

Well drive slower then :devil:

Never a traffic cop around when you need one...... :D :D :D

:devil: :devil: :rolleyes: I am - mostly :p

And - I wouldn't say that ;) :devil: :devil: :D

Strange how the love for our cars can differ so much,, If I hurt myself, I am self repairing and I automatically return to normal :), the poor car does not and the dent that you put in it last week will stay until it is removed :mad:

It is very slippery, even the Quattro is keeping me awake round roundabouts, generally in the morning and late at night though

When I was in scotland over the new year I saw a variety of cars posing in fields and even one upside down on the motorway. My car has wide tires and rear wheel drive - was I just lucky or careful? Weather reports and the external temperature gauge are there for a purpose.
Les

When I was in scotland over the new year I saw a variety of cars posing in fields and even one upside down on the motorway. My car has wide tires and rear wheel drive - was I just lucky or careful? Weather reports and the external temperature gauge are there for a purpose.
Les

You were lucky

Status update: You have got to love the RAC, they have messed me around (once again!), as they didn't send a flatbed tow truck, they sent one of those that lifts the car up by two wheels. Doesn't make sense with a rear wheel drive automatic that has a front wheel problem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom