Black number plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UniqueTouch

Car
ML350 Inspiration W163
I've seen a few black bmw's around with them on...however just done a google search and they are only legal on pre 1972 cars.

Does anyone have black number plates on the mercs? I think they'd look awesome on a black ML.

whats your thoughts on this?

cheers

You answered your own question as they are only legal on pre 72 vehicles.

Not many black 1971 ML's knocking about.:rolleyes:

I asked to have some made for my 1999 clk for show use and off road and the guy with the stall informed me that as of 2 weeks ago he cannot make them up for any vehicles after 72.

He has lost a lot of business from it. However I was genuinly wanting them for off road use only as I already had an idea they were not legal on the road for certain vehicles. But I was shocked when he said he couldn't even make them anymore if the v5 wasn't the right year.

whats your thoughts on this?

cheers

Why would anyone put black plates on a modern car & use them on the road? ( I have saw this too)
Why not put a large sticker on the bumper inviting plod to pull you over instead? :confused:

Russ

Its all about the way it looks.
Some people like it, some people dont.
My brother has a regular plate on the back and a black plate on the front of his Audi A5 and i must say it suits his car very well.
He knows its inviting him to get pulled over but then thats his problem, not anyones elses.

What if you got a reg number from a pre-1973 car, could you still keep the plates black whilst putting them on a modern car or does the car itself have to be pre-1973 as well?

If that makes sense!

Car has to be pre 73 too. Otherwise everyone with a personal number plate ( a proper one , not a monkey one ) could put black plates on their car ...

Personally i think it looks terrible on modern cars.

Gary Glitter had a pair of black & silver plates on his CE (can't find a picture :( ).

Gary Glitter had a pair of black & silver plates on his CE (can't find a picture :( ).

That says it all.................all that glitters is not gold...:D

What if you got a reg number from a pre-1973 car, could you still keep the plates black whilst putting them on a modern car or does the car itself have to be pre-1973 as well?

Silver (or white, or grey) lettering on black plates is only legal on vehicles constructed before 1st January 1973.

Dead against it. Nothing looks better on a vehicle than the correct type of plate for its year. Everything else looks wrong and stupid.

Yep I had to take mine off, but had them on for years before anyone clocked as my car is ancient anyway!

Yerp, as of october 2008 VOSA & the DVLA have changed how number plates are made, those with 'legal' number plate making machines are linked up to the DVLA database via the internet & if it recognises a vehicle manufatured after 1972 it will not allow the user to make these plates.

Illigal plates will recieved a minimum fine of £30 per plate as well as points on your licence.

These machines have also been been programmed not to allow funky letters like italics & BOLD as well as illegal spacings between digits of the plate........as far as I understand.

i have some

REAR2.jpg

got stopped 3 times in a month so had to take them off

i will put them back on next summer

i have some

REAR2.jpg

got stopped 3 times in a month so had to take them off

i will put them back on next summer

Cambs Police always have the option of seizing your car (its not like you didn't know you were breaking the law...!), though that is unlikely.

More likely is that you'll find yourself in court (probably not a bad idea to remove your post here).

:(

black and silver plates on post '73 cars is just another way of voluntarily contributing to the "idiots tax" pot which keeps the cost of motoring down for those who have realised that not only does it cost you money but it makes you look like a complete k**b.

Why not go the whole hog and have some incorrectly spaced, alternative font with a few extra studs etc to create a mis-spelled version of your name in glorious black and white?

they are not on the car now as i was stopped 3 times in a month in august so removed them

they'll never take me alive i tells ya

black and silver plates on post '73 cars is just another way of voluntarily contributing to the "idiots tax" pot which keeps the cost of motoring down for those who have realised that not only does it cost you money but it makes you look like a complete k**b.

Why not go the whole hog and have some incorrectly spaced, alternative font with a few extra studs etc to create a mis-spelled version of your name in glorious black and white?

i never thought of that

ill give it a go

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom