Black/Silver AMG Styling 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leemc2008

Car
BMW e39 540i 4.4 V8
Hello

My AMG alloys are in dire need of a refurbishment. I bought the car because it had these wheels.. and I really love them! Dont want to go for 18's because I dont want to affect the current ride and handling of the car. Mercedes designed my car to come with 17's so I always think if they'd wanted it to come with 18's then it would have come with them! :D

So.. What to do with my manky wheels? I had a go at polishing the lip with autosol and it came back really nice.. I have the drill, polishing mops and polishing bars in the garage so I know that if it'll come back with autosol I'll get a mirror finish with the drill..

I have to re-paint the centres, so its whether I go with standard silver or black.. Really liking the black!

So, as they are now:

Leemc20058916264.jpg

A quick photoshop on the laptop without a mouse.. :eek:

blackcentre.jpg

What do you all reckon? Will be a glossy black, but I dont really know how to use photoshop..

Cheers

Lee

Hello

My AMG alloys are in dire need of a refurbishment. I bought the car because it had these wheels.. and I really love them! Dont want to go for 18's because I dont want to affect the current ride and handling of the car. Mercedes designed my car to come with 17's so I always think if they'd wanted it to come with 18's then it would have come with them! :D

So.. What to do with my manky wheels? I had a go at polishing the lip with autosol and it came back really nice.. I have the drill, polishing mops and polishing bars in the garage so I know that if it'll come back with autosol I'll get a mirror finish with the drill..

I have to re-paint the centres, so its whether I go with standard silver or black.. Really liking the black!

So, as they are now:

Leemc20058916264.jpg

A quick photoshop on the laptop without a mouse.. :eek:

blackcentre.jpg

What do you all reckon? Will be a glossy black, but I dont really know how to use photoshop..

Cheers

Lee

Nice, another stealth style - i quite like them, but at the end of the day its your choice?

I would go gunmetal grey ...... like mine ;)

greyside3a.jpg

IMHO unless your car is a bright colour or actually black, black wheels look wrong. Also body-coloured wheels look dated except for certain circumstances.

However, if you went for 18s your car would look something like the following...

Attachments

• Leemc20058916264-18.jpg
    Leemc20058916264-18.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 93
I had mine powder coated black with polished rims, these are Aero I's for an earlier car, but I like that look.

Colour coding only works with certain colours, black being one of them.

PICT1487.jpg

I had mine powder coated black with polished rims, these are Aero I's for an earlier car, but I like that look.

Colour coding only works with certain colours, black being one of them.

PICT1487.jpg

They look great - really like them, and agree regards colour coding.

No.

Personally, I wouldnt. There are very few cars that i think look good with black wheels, most of the time they just look like you've lost your hub-caps!

There's always the odd exception though, for example the car in Mudster's avatar :rock:

For me, the W202 isnt one but it's your car - and they can always be re-sprayed if you decide you dont like them 6 months down the line!

I think I'm probably going to go with the mirror polish on the lip and perhaps a darker grey/anthracite type colour in the centres..

The more I look at the photoshop I did.. doesnt really grab me like I thought it might have..

Cheers for the replies!

Lee

i think either go for 18`s or get them refurbed in the color they are now.

Having just got new tyres on the 17's I want to stick with them.. dont want to compromise the ride either. I did have my eye on a set of E55 wheels, but going to spend my money on a Bilstein suspension and new brakes instead. :)

I did have my eye on a set of E55 wheels, but going to spend my money on a Bilstein suspension and new brakes instead. :)
If it helps the wheels on the pic I made earlier were from a W210 E55 :)

Black rims can look the pants on most cars, if my wheels needed a refurb in the next few years i'd change to black with a silver lip.

I would leave them as they are although a mirror lip would look nice but bare in mind it will be high maintaince retaining the finish.

Personally, I wouldnt. There are very few cars that i think look good with black wheels, most of the time they just look like you've lost your hub-caps!

There's always the odd exception though, for example the car in Mudster's avatar :rock:

For me, the W202 isnt one but it's your car - and they can always be re-sprayed if you decide you dont like them 6 months down the line!

I think you're right here, colour coding is a very 80's design it looks right on cars designed in that era even if they were built a little later (Mine's a 1990).

W124's look right in certain colours with colour coding, but the later cars have always had some dirivative of silver wheels and it suits the lines of modern cars. Mainly because there is very little chrome on most of them, the lack of brightwork doesn't offset the fact the wheels are painted body colour and it looks a little too much. Unless of course you're going the full hog of dechroming everything like Tudu has, but that's a modern "stealth" look as a opposed to the look I try and achieve with my cars, which is more period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom