Black & Silver Plates?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can I put some small letters on the bottom of plates. Rather like the the old dealer name thing?

There's plenty of sound advice on Google.

Can I put some small letters on the bottom of plates. Rather like the the old dealer name thing?

I've had my favourite saying in small letters on my plates for 15 years now Bruce and never been pulled.

Seeing as many online shops allow you to personalise plates in this way I'd always assumed it was legal. :dk:

I've had my favourite saying in small letters on my plates for 15 years now Bruce and never been pulled.

Seeing as many online shops allow you to personalise plates in this way I'd always assumed it was legal. :dk:

How long is your number plate?

'You've got to have a dream.If you don't have a dream. How you gonna make a dream come true'?

Bruce, keep the correct plates in the boot to change over if stopped, most MB plates are screwed on so only take a few minutes to change, so put the hel what you like on the car:D

Benzowner said:
Bruce, keep the correct plates in the boot to change over if stopped, most MB plates are screwed on so only take a few minutes to change, so put the hel what you like on the car:D

What a shockingly great idea. A man after my own heart. ;^)

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Happytalk73 said:
I've had my favourite saying in small letters on my plates for 15 years now Bruce and never been pulled. Seeing as many online shops allow you to personalise plates in this way I'd always assumed it was legal. :dk:
As a child I learned my love of cars by sitting on my beloved grandfathers (Papa Gibson) knee and steering his Austin A70 all over Brassie beach in my native Scotland. His registration was MGA 756. We grew up believing it stood for Mr Gibsons Austin. I still think it does. He loved that car and nurtured every bit of it. For many years my plates were all stamped MGA 756. Mr Gibson's Austin. I was told that this is now illegal? I feel he would approve of my 124 Wagon wafting along with his plate on it. He was a senior engineer for BMK Carpets in Kilmarnock for almost his entire life. But I can't cover the car in carpet. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Last edited:
As a child I learned my love of cars by sitting on my beloved grandfathers (Papa Gibson) knee and steering his Austin A70 all over Brassie beach in my native Scotland. His registration was MGA 756. We grew up believing it stood for Mr Gibsons Austin. I still think it does. He loved that car and nurtured every bit of it. For many years my plates were all stamped MGA 756. Mr Gibson's Austin. I was told that this is now illegal? I feel he would approve of my 124 Wagon wafting along with his plate on it. He was a senior engineer for BMK Carpets in Kilmarnock for almost his entire life. But I can't cover the car in carpet. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

It used to be legal to have any text ( barring the offensive ) along the bottom .

That changed when the rules about having makers postcode etc came in . However , AFAIK , older plates with such text did not become illegal , only ones made since the change .

If your car predates the newer regulations , who's to say the plate hasn't been on there all that time - you can get plain plates made up outside UK without the postcodes etc - people can suspect all they like but it's what you can prove that counts :)

How good would it be if you could get that registration mark , though ?

Incidentally , one of my neighbours has just finished restoring an MGA , but I'm sure that isn't the number .

Last edited:
I would love to be able to get that number but have no idea where to start. My basic searches produced nothing?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I have just had a plate from here

hdcplatesandsigns on eBay

made for my bike. It is totally illegal in size and colour but the traffic car and two pandas that followed me through town the other day didn't seem to mind. If I get stopped for it its because "I've just been taking some photographs of it and have forgotten to put the proper plates back on officer.."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom