Black Smoke Please Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twmshwn

I have Black Smoke coming out of the exhaust on my 2001 w201 E320 Estate.
1. I had my ERG valve cleaned and the star diagnosing show it’s within the % limits.
2. I had an injector (star +5.2) reconditioned and fitted. Star shows it at ok
3. I have replaced the air filter.
However, I still have black smoke while driving off and when you accelerate at speed.
Help, what next?

You might have a build up of soot in the exhaust system........before investigating deeper, try giving it a good, long thrashing, keeping in the lower gears and see if the smoke eventually dissipates .....

Star is clear on all codes? Not just the fixed injector?

If its all clear there has to be a physical fault, not something hooked into a sensor.

Are you suffering from poor acceleration or anything noticeable like that?

Black smoke is oil. Turbo/intercooler/gaskets/valve seals are gonna be obvious culprits.

You might have a build up of soot in the exhaust system........before investigating deeper, try giving it a good, long thrashing, keeping in the lower gears and see if the smoke eventually dissipates .....

Ooh yeah, good old Italian tuning session!

Black smoke is oil. Turbo/intercooler/gaskets/valve seals are gonna be obvious culprits.

Not correct!........black smoke is unburnt diesel fuel!

BLUE smoke is oil!

Yep, black smoke is unburnt fuel, blue smoke is oil, white smoke is water.

As panason1c suggested,giving it a good blast should clear the smoke,always good to give the motor a blow out every now and then especially if you do a lot of town driving stuck in traffic

Check the hoses around the turbo for air leaks or sucking in air.

When I accelerate hard for the first time on a run I get the black smoke as well, it normally is ok after that.
I thought it was normal for diesel engines.
E280 7 speed auto. 2008

Not correct!........black smoke is unburnt diesel fuel!

BLUE smoke is oil!

FACEPALM!

Sorry, my wife always says "why does everything have to be black or white with you..." and I guess this proves it.

I'll retreat to a safe distance whilst the OP erroneously orders a new turbo...

However, wouldn't fuel mixture issues show up on the Star, something OP says is coming up clear? Just a thought before I scurry off as mentioned.

Last edited:
twmshwn said:
Thanks guys
It's a cdi
What hoses should I check?

You should check the intercooler and any hoses associated with it and the turbo. You're checking for splits, holes, iffy connections - anything that will allow precious boost pressure to escape. A smoke machine is used to check the integrity of the intake side of things in a professional environment.

The car is either over fuelling (none of the above will apply) or is not getting enough air in relation to fuel. Hence - the above.

Why not just book the car in with your garage, stop worrying about it and carry on with your day to day activities :)

Why not just book the car in with your garage, stop worrying about it and carry on with your day to day activities :)

Maybe the point of this forum is that sometimes folks would like to see if there are any fixes they can carry out at home. I'm not saying its possible always, but its worth asking, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom