black smoke w210 e320 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arkamelis

Car
Now have my E320 cdi
hi all
i havnt been on the site for a week due to internet hub issues, but nice to be back.
i put a post in sometime ago about my car blowing out lots of black smoke when a floored it.
i now know that this was down to a little bar that had come of a motor thats located just under the manifold, the bar operates a set of vents that allows air flow in to the engine ( i think ) but that was the problem so if you get the same problem its worth checking this out, the part costs £15 from mb stealer, worth getting has that black smoke is unburnt fuel.

hope this has been some help

worth takeing the manifold off for a good old clean mate my stepper motor bar had come off and got gunked up did the manifold that was hanging with oil and dirt the egr valve and houseing was carboned up takes about 4 hours to do but worth it mine blacked smoked badly after a good clean up fantastic power back to normal

this i also done, and it does it the world of good like you say big john. tho i didnt go has far has taking the manifold off, but i did clean down the egr valve and it made a big difference.

stepper motor rod is the bit that wasnt connected on mine, i think over time the fitting just gets worn and comes off, so i got a replacment from mbd for £15 and its working fine now.
To all,
you can see this part from the top of engine looking down and you can get someone to rev the car and you can watch to see if its working.
a friend of mine had to replace the actual motor that costed him £120 so lucky escape for me

i took mine off as the inlet shut of flaps where seized aparnetly comon problem so off come the manifold, the egr valve was hanging anf the mixer tube ie where it all conects up from the intrecooler was choked up with soot and carbon clean the lot out so all shiny and new now when the rod was off kept getting a limp home mode on the car more when on the mway it did this if you do this job you need a ramp as some bolts you not get unless under the car but like you say the motor works with a slight rev of the engine on some of my pics you can see the manifold off the car bfor they where cleaned i used some thinners to soak in the used a steam cleaner to get into the awkard bits but a good job well done

pics, blimey, not so easy to just add a pic. might be easier to just put them in my album and you can see from there n70gp

Good posts Gents as this makes me more certain to do my engine as this is exactly the problem on mine - I'm gonna book Thursday off now to tackle manifold removal as i am suspecting one or more of my flaps has sheared off the shaft as it smokes regardless of whether the link arm is in the flaps open or closed position.

I'm hoping thats its the EGR that is blocked instead though.

Heres a picture of the bar (new replacement from M.B) that someone has modified for me with a retainer in case the ball pin has worn on the stepper motor arm.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 658
good idear skemball, i carnt see that working loose, may have to take mine of again and try and do somethink the same.

hope you got a ramp to get under car to lossen off the intercooloer pipe and support brackets best get a new gasket and seals for the intercooloer and a couple galls of thinners and a presure cleaner you be surprised how much oil and crap be inside the manifold

Yes Ive got new manifold gasket and various O rings and a gasket for the water cooled exhaust/EGR metalwork. Ive had the intercooler out recently to sort a leak so thats all o.k.

Ive got a couple of gallons of paraffin and going to try some of this swarfega cleaner as Ive got their vehicle cleaner and that works well on the car so will see how good this stuff is at shifting black muck!

Swarfega Heavy Duty Degreaser - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

All done & dusted. ~Took me 2 days from start to finish, the longest parts were cleaning the crap out of the manifold & EGR valve assembly! She now starts better from cold, no black smoke and I can hear the EGR working now as well. Next job is to fit the EGR 'delete' modification that has been talked about on this forum before - 2 resistors and a diode to fool the ECU.

Attachments

• 2010-01-07 012.jpg
    2010-01-07 012.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 619
  • 2010-01-07 022.jpg
    2010-01-07 022.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 615
so was the butterflys jamed then ??? so wots the egr thing your on about since i cleand mine my egr works fine can hear it working when the car is rved up

its not an easy job as it looks either i thought it be easy took me and a mate about 5 hours from start to finish not beleve how mucky it gets in there i was scrapping oil and soot in there but starts a dream like you said better throttle responce cleaner smoke and you no its all working as it should be too

can i just say, now that i have fitted the new bar, and cleaned up the erg valve, my car has stopped blowing out black smoke, and also feels abit more pokie. to anyone who gets this problem, its for sure worth checking out the posts and checking for these issues.

big thanks to all, for your input

Last edited:
Hi guys.

I have been at this forum for a while, but registered just for a week ago. What a great help this thread is. My car is also suffering the same problem, I guess. Lots of black smoke and poor pick up. Arkamelis, do you have some more pictures of how you did this job? By the way, where and what is the EGR? Would be nice if you put a pic of it here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom