Black spots on alloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Been detailing my partner's SLK and I am struggling to get millions of tiny black dots off one of the alloys. I have tried T-cut and tar remover to no avail. I'm pretty sure they aren't iron as we had the same black spots on a previous car and Iron-X did nothing. Any ideas what would shift them?

KillerHERTZ said:
Wonder wheels should do the trick
cheers Karl. Not a massive
fan of wonder wheels, but if that what is needed then so be it. I wonder if a drop of petrol would shift it?

If dedicated tar remover and organic fallout remover didn't do the trick and you also attempted to abrade the spots with T-Cut, you may have to consider the possibility that the damage is embedded in the lacquer. Brake dust particles leave the pads red hot and when they land on the rims they can melt into the lacquer. That's why a high temperature wheel sealant like Finish Kare FK1000P is always a good idea. You say you only have the problem with one wheel. If it is indeed a contaminant sitting on top of the lacquer then surely there must be evidence of the same on at least one other wheel. Perhaps you have caught some black paint overspray from something being sprayed nearby. You may have to try a judicious wipedown with a stronger solvent like cellulose thinners but don't let it dwell. I use it with 0000 gauge steel wool and immediately collect any surplus that remains with a microfibre cloth.

cheers Karl. Not a massive
fan of wonder wheels, but if that what is needed then so be it. I wonder if a drop of petrol would shift it?

Tardis will shift those.

I tried cellulose thinner today and that wouldn't shift it either. I'm not convinced they black spots have melted into the lacquer as I can just about pick them off with a finger nail but there are loads of them so that's not a practical option. If I've tried thinners, tar remover, iron x, t cut and clay, would wonder wheels or tardis actually work?

try baby wipes

Have you tried an aggressive claybar? It's a bit of a ball ache when they are all over the wheel but it should make the process a bit easier. Once you have got them all off, give it another blast with tar/gum remover to get rid of any residue and give the wheels a wash.

Slap on some high temp sealant and never see the problem again :D

Sounds like break dust, as mentioned above, fallout remover such as wonder wheels, iron-x, purple rain, ferrous dueller and a brush to agitate should most probably shift these. You may have to do this a number of times before they are completely gone.

The clay suggestion is also good, but I would begin with the method above, and remove the remains with clay. Once the wheels are clean, it may be worthwhile to seal them to make the job slightly easier next time.

Sounds like break dust, as mentioned above, fallout remover such as wonder wheels, iron-x, purple rain, ferrous dueller and a brush to agitate should most probably shift these. You may have to do this a number of times before they are completely gone.

The clay suggestion is also good, but I would begin with the method above, and remove the remains with clay. Once the wheels are clean, it may be worthwhile to seal them to make the job slightly easier next time.

I second this post! :thumb:

Tied baby wipes to no avail. Bought some course clay and it did the trick. Slow process but finally it's done. Thank you for your advice guys. This is what I did:

Spent over ten hours working on the alloys bringing them up to my standard. Bilberry non acidic wheel cleaner, washed with Megs Gold class shampoo, clayed to smooth the surface and remove tar that absolutely nothing else would remove, wash again, auto glym and then seal with hi temp wax on the inside making future cleaning easier and to protect, then machine polish the wheel faces with Megs Ultimate Compound, auto glym then a coat of hi temp wax. Aching like hell today

Very nice. Worth the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom