Black tar build up ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattwatson527

Car
Cls 350 blueefficiency
Hi all.

Fairly new to MB. Recently bought a clk 350 2007 with 70k on clock.

Fine for a few weeks then noticed a bad smell coming from right side of the engine with some serious heat coming from it.

Managed to get a pic of what seems like thick black tar.

Anyone have any idea what this is, what's causing it & what can be done ?
Apologies on the image quality - the tar is directly where the torch is pointing in the last pic.

Cheers all.

Attachments

• 20220308_173441.jpg
    20220308_173441.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220308_173455.jpg
    20220308_173455.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220308_173422.jpg
    20220308_173422.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • 20220310_214540.jpg
    20220310_214540.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
It looks to me to be some sort of sealing compound to seal a leak or crack - but I could be wrong.
Sealing compounds are for sealing joint faces - not smearing over the outside of a leak which appears to be the case here.

Is the smell from leaking exhaust gases or from whatever that black stuff is?

Possibly someone with more experience of that particular engine can better advise what to do. Any leak of exhaust gas needs to be dealt with promptly.

It looks to me to be some sort of sealing compound to seal a leak or crack - but I could be wrong.
Sealing compounds are for sealing joint faces - not smearing over the outside of a leak which appears to be the case here.

Is the smell from leaking exhaust gases or from whatever that black stuff is?

Possibly someone with more experience of that particular engine can better advise what to do. Any leak of exhaust gas needs to be dealt with promptly.
Now you say that, I had my windscreen replaced and I think I noticed the smell afterwards.
Could be possible its a spillage from that.
Good shout 👍

Have you lifted the top cover on the engine just to check for evidence of 'the black death' ? Unlikely , but worth a look.

View attachment 124757
Thanks Pete, will check that also. Going to have a better look today and try scrape some of it off at least for a better look

Now you say that, I had my windscreen replaced and I think I noticed the smell afterwards.
Could be possible its a spillage from that.
Good shout 👍
Probably not.
If it is a sealant it has been deliberately applied. Windscreen sealant would have caught fire by now! See what you find when you poke it with a stick. My guess is hard and starting to flake off and leaking exhaust gas - hence the smell. Only guessing here though.

Id be getting my hands dirty and scraping it off to determine what it is (smell and taste test) and to see if its covering up a repair or is just a spill.

From the location of the "tar" could it be plausable its a spill from a windscreen repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom