Black W123 230E still survive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grease-Monkey

Car
Currently four Mercedes and a Model T Ford
Just wondered if anyone knows if my old W123 230E is still about.
Registered YLN 117X I sold it to someone from Wimbledon area about six years ago when I emigrated 'down under'.
Apart from a rust bubble in the rear passenger door window frame, it was very clean with alloy wheels and tan interior. It would be nice to know if it survives.
Chris Martin

Attachments

• black1.JPG
    black1.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 175
A very nice example , let's hope it is still around .

Sadly , though , there was a spate of organised car thefts in the London area , with W123 cars in particular being targeted , the cars being put into containers and shipped to the african continent , often with the roof cut off so maximum numbers could be sandwiched into containers , or the cars simply being stripped for spares before being crushed .

At least some of the gangs involved in this were caught in a major police operation , but a lot of nice cars succumbed to the thieves who simply drove around London with recovery trucks and lifted cars onto the back and away in minutes .

I hope yours wasn't one of them .

It's not taxed or delcared SORN
From the DVLA...

The vehicle details for YLN 117X are:
Date of Liability 01 03 2006
Date of First Registration 21 06 1982
Year of Manufacture 1982
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2299CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour BLACK

From the DVLA...

Year of Manufacture 1982
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Colour BLACK

I did not know one could access the DVLA records, so can anyone get this info?
Changed a bit since I was last there, you had to bribe a cop to find out such stuff.
Anyway, if it is not taxed and not recorded a SORN does that mean it is probably either wrecked, crushed or exported?
Am I right in thinking if you have a car in storage and do record SORN you could be liable for tax unpaid?
Thanks,
Chris M.

From the DVLA...

Year of Manufacture 1982
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Colour BLACK
So,
can you access what happened to silver 280E reg # A80SMJ then,
last seen sold to somewhere south of Milton Keynes six years ago.
Nice clean solid rust-free, smooth driver, but with valve seal issues,
went like crazy, but with a bit of a blue cloud behind.
Wonder if that is still running?
Chris M.

The vehicle details for A80 SMJ are:

Date of Liability 01 11 2004
Date of First Registration 17 04 1984
Year of Manufacture 1984
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2746CC
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval null

You sure it was silver ? ;)

"Am I right in thinking if you have a car in storage and do record SORN you could be liable for tax unpaid?
Thanks,
Chris M."

I presume you meant 'do not record sorn' ?

The answer is - not always .

My Ponton has not been on the road since before the SORN scheme began , thus is SORN exempt .

A car only needs to be declared SORN , and renewed annually , if it was taken off the road since the scheme came into being . There are lots of older cars legally off road and not declared SORN .

I didnt declare my Landy SORN and it hadnt been taxed for 3 years, I taxed it the other day without a problem on the DVLA website.
Mind you If they did want me to pay the Tax at the going rate for the last three years I would happily do it:rolleyes:

"Am I right in thinking if you have a car in storage and do record SORN you could be liable for tax unpaid?
Thanks,
Chris M."

I presume you meant 'do not record sorn' ?

The answer is - not always .

My Ponton has not been on the road since before the SORN scheme began , thus is SORN exempt .

A car only needs to be declared SORN , and renewed annually , if it was taken off the road since the scheme came into being . There are lots of older cars legally off road and not declared SORN .

Yeah, sorry, the 'not' must have fell off the page.
SORN has been around since before I shipped out in '03, but I never read the small print.
Im am also in the Model T Ford clubs, (both UK and Aus) and as far as I know folks are still rescuing old barn-finds without a fifty year tax bill owing.
So, does anyone know when SORN kicked in, and assuming it does not apply retrospectively (I thought they were trying to get everyone), do you only pay tax when you put the car back on the road?
Sounds like another beaurocratic c*ck-up to me!
C.M.

I'm being a bit numptyish here I'm sure but what does "Date of vehicle liability" mean ?:confused:

so what does it mean if it cannot find the car (details are correct)?, presume it may have been written off!!

The vehicle details for A80 SMJ are:

Date of Liability 01 11 2004
Date of First Registration 17 04 1984
Year of Manufacture 1984
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2746CC
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval null

You sure it was silver ? ;)
Yeah, a kind of bluey silver, not Astral Silver, not Diamond Blue and not the same pale blue as my SLC, not sure what it would be called.
Chris M.

Apparently it's called BLUE ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom