Blackberry Pearl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
I've just got off a 'plane for the umpteenth time this year, and I've finally got to the point of bothering to ask this question. It's bugged me for ages, but I keep forgetting to do anything abut it.

To turn my BB Pearl off, I have to press and hold the power button for a couple of seconds. But the merest brush of the button switches it back on again. This makes it a right pain when flying, because you can't put the phone anywhere (Pocket, bag, jacket etc) without the risk of turning it on.

Am I missing something? Is there a way of making it harder to switch on? What do other Pearl users do?

TIA

PJ

Actually I leave mine on on the plane, in case I want to check my diary listen to music etc.

I just turn all connections off in the manage connections tab. (I have an 8800 which is not the same as the Pearl but has the same features and problem)

The airlines are OK with this, as they call this flight safemode.

Pearl doesn't have a flight safe mode. And you're supposed to turn off all electronics during takeoff and landing, anyway...

I don't have a holster.

Pearl doesn't have a flight safe mode. And you're supposed to turn off all electronics during takeoff and landing, anyway...

I don't have a holster.

yes it does , ive just checked one of mine.

Its an icon thats shaped like a giant aerial. Its got turn wireless off on it.

"Mobile phones must be switched off whilst the engines are running..., If you have Flight-Safe mode enable this now"

There is no problem with using phones, pda's etc as long as they cannot send/receive.

"Mobile phones must be switched off whilst the engines are running..., If you have Flight-Safe mode enable this now"
Enable it, and then turn off the device.

"And all electronic devices must not be used when the fasten seatbelt sign is lit."

Go and look on any airline's website.

fuzzer said:
Its an icon thats shaped like a giant aerial. Its got turn wireless off on it.
Does that turn the GSM off too? I thought it only deactivated GPRS.

Bit of info from Virgin Atlantic:

Taxi, take off, descent and landing:

NO electronic items to be used.

In flight, once fasten seatbelt signs are turned off:

Mobile telephones, smartphones and PDAs: may be used but they must be in flight safe mode from before departure. Those without flight safe mode will have to remain turned off.

Personal computing equipment: may be used but wireless connectivity must be turned off before departure.

Portable audio equipment: may be used.

Electronic games: may be used but not the wireless connection to other handsets.

Bluetooth accessories: to personal computing or audio equipment may be used.

Videos / digital cameras: may be used with the permission of the crew.

If there's any uncertainty whether you have flight safe mode, the device will have to be turned off. Similarly, if the Captain suspects interference with the aircraft systems then all electronic equipment will need to be switched off. Cabin crew will be unable to advise you on whether your device has flight safe mode, so best check your manufacturer's guide book before leaving home.

Thanks for that Robert.

I've already prepared links from BA, KLM and Virgin Atlantic to prove my point if necessary ;)

PJ

Can't remember on mine - have you tried making a call?

Yes, just now. It says "Radio is off" :bannana:

Thanks.

Nevertheless, there is still a risk, due to that pesky power button, that I could turn the device on inadvertently, and as readers of this thread may or not be aware (;) ), YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE ANY ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT WHENT HE FASTEN SEATBELT SIGN IS TURNED ON.

PJ

hehe ;)

As for the power button, I don't think mine is overly sensitive - I would check but per my post #9 I should have phrased that as "can't remember and can't be bothered to get up and go get it to have a look" :D

I use my Nokia more now, I don't use the 'Berry as much hence my lack of recall

I've just got off a 'plane for the umpteenth time this year, and I've finally got to the point of bothering to ask this question. It's bugged me for ages, but I keep forgetting to do anything abut it.

To turn my BB Pearl off, I have to press and hold the power button for a couple of seconds. But the merest brush of the button switches it back on again. This makes it a right pain when flying, because you can't put the phone anywhere (Pocket, bag, jacket etc) without the risk of turning it on.

Am I missing something? Is there a way of making it harder to switch on? What do other Pearl users do?

TIA

PJ

I have a pearl.

Back on topic, you're right, the pearl doesn't turn off completely which is ANNOYING, it jut goes into standby and comes on at the slightest touch.

To resolve the issue, just pull out the battery :) I guess the pearl wasn't designed to be turned off completely all the time as it takes a few minutes to boot.

Yes, just now. It says "Radio is off" :bannana:

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE ANY ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT WHENT HE FASTEN SEATBELT SIGN IS TURNED ON.

PJ

Serious question, what constitutes use?

Does having a PDA/BBerry in your pocket in flight safe mode constitute use?

Does having your laptop in sleep mode constitute use?

All of these are technically on.

A BA stewardess said to me, when I asked her, that they do not want any wireless signals in the plane when the engines are on.

Otherwise they want people to pay attention when the seat belt signs are lit, hence no using electronic devices etc.

I have never had a problem and i fly a lot, if you let the cabin crew know that your phone is in flight safe mode.

Turning off all wireless connections switches off GPRS. GSM and blue tooth, so effectively it is just an electronic PDA.

Serious question, what constitutes use?

Does having a PDA/BBerry in your pocket in flight safe mode constitute use?

Does having your laptop in sleep mode constitute use?

All of these are technically on.
I don't know. In your question above, you have quoted me ("use") not the airlines ("switched off").

BA said:
Portable telephones and other electronic equipment such as games and computers may interfere with the aircraft systems and must be switched off during take-off, approach and landing.
KLM said:
All electronic equipment should be turned off and stowed as soon as the 'fasten seatbelt' sign is turned on

I fly within Europe on average once a week, and the number of people who are so important that they cannot switch off their phones until the last possible moment, and must turn it back on again as soon as the plane is on the stand never ceases to amaze me.

If these people were so important, surely the meeting would come to them?

[/Rant]

Is there any evidence that phones actually interfere with anything... im sceptical about this.

i mean in hospitals all staff have their mobiles on (my dr friends tell me this) yet they get jumpy with us if ours happens to go off making us feel like we may have just killed half the ICU...

Planes - come on, if they really interfered with anything they would take larger measures, they would confiscate phones or make you check them in or something.

I know ive left one of my phones on in the past, i simply forgot it was in my bag, yet the plane did not crash into the eiffel tower??
and i know for a fact that passengers around me have ignored the warnings and have their phones on the whole time..

Its all a load of tosh as far as im concerned...

Aren't airlines about to allow the use of mobiles once airborne? Negotiations are taking place with networks

I thought I heard/read this recently...

I fly within Europe on average once a week, and the number of people who are so important that they cannot switch off their phones until the last possible moment, and must turn it back on again as soon as the plane is on the stand never ceases to amaze me.

If these people were so important, surely the meeting would come to them?

[/Rant]

I totally agree with the rant, there are lots of very important people about:devil: :D :devil: .

The only reason I want my phone on, on the plane in flight safe mode is to listen to music. I don't want to carry an ipod as well and the BB 8800 uses a Micro SD card which I can get plenty of music on.

I would personally be happy to set it in flight safe mode when entering the plane, turn it off when taking off and landing etc (dodgy on/off button hopefully works!!!!). I have not needed to turn it off though, as long as wireless was disabled, and I take the headphones off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom