Blackberry Torch or IPhone 4?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Blackberry Torch 9800

IPhone 4

Both on comparable deals.

Which one - you decide? (in a Marcus Bentley voice).

Thanks,

It depends what your priority is.

If it is for 'phone functions, texting and email then Blackberry are better overall in my experience and my 9700 has lasted 20 months, something of a record as I am fairly tough on 'phones.

If you want / need good browsing and lots of apps then the IPhone is far superior.

Go into a shop and play with both. My partner has the IPhone, both of us on Orange and more often than not she has no signal and I have 3G :)

ignore the torch .... get the 9900 or 9700 if you are going to get a Blackberry.

For email, the blackberry is still king (barely). For anything else, an iphone or Android beats it hands down.

I've had both.

I ordered the Torch as my original upgrade and sent it back within 48 hours to be replaced by the iPhone 4.

ive just got the iphone4, still not got to grips with it as ive come from a sony w995, which i loved as a phone!

i have a blackberry as a work phone also, if you want a phone get a normal phone, if you want the apps, get the iphone4, oh and the mbclub app of course!

Hello

As a business phone I would think the Blackberry, as a gadget and all round great phone I have to say the more i use my iPhone the better I think it is.

Currently waiting for the iPhone5 if they do it as mine (the iphone4) is out of contract. I would like to see some better features but overall its the best phone I have had.

There is an 'app' for anything you can think of and the ease of use / screen display etc are very good.

If you get a Blackberry.. DJ Mexy Dub Maxwell D Blackberry Hype - YouTube .. you have to start going on about Blackberry hype! Purely optional though.

I've had a BB and iPhone 4, still got the iPhone 4 as it was just better to me. Will be switching network provider when my upgrade is due; on Orange and they're rubbish - data connection is faster and better on O2 almost everywhere I've been in the country.

Both the iPhone and the Torch are imminently to be replaced, so unless they are a very good deal I would wait.

If you like touch screen, the iPhone 4 is a great and generally is much better regarded than the Torch.

I have 2 iPhone 4's now, one personal and one work, in the past I have had Blackberry for work and to be honest think they are much better if you get a lot of email.

Saying that, they have never been touch screen BB's, I have looked at the new Bold 9900 and that has full qwerty keyboard and touchscreen and the new BB operating system version 7 and I think that is a nice pice of kit.

If you're planning on, say, rampaging around a town centre, I think the blackberry is a clear winner. It's bbm system proved itself invaluable a coupla weeks ago.

Joking aside, I'd see what Android alternatives are out there, as Apple andto a lesser extent BB lock you into their platforms and systems creating odd compatibility issues.

iphone 4.

(if you can't wait for the 5)

i'd recommend tesco (they use 02)
you can exchange vouchers (£1 worth of vouchers = £2 in the phone shop :) )
they give a 12 month contract which is super as you're not tied in for longer and u still pay what o2 are charging per month for 18 months :)

downside is the data limit (1gb unless you opt for more) but they are all doing this apart from 3 i think (but i wouldn't touch 3 with a barge pole)
also tesco don't offer visual voice mail or FaceTime unlike 02, so you would have to call in to get your messages...

I've got an iphone 3GS and am sorely tempted by this to replace it.

Buy Samsung B2100 Xplore SIM Free

my wife gets my hand me down phones... :)

she has managed to break my 3gs (given to her in pristine condition 3 months ago... TWICE!
had the screen and buttons replaced. now she has smashed the screen again and has also lost a piece off the body!

... i think she could do with one of those!

my wife gets my hand me down phones... :)

she has managed to break my 3gs (given to her in pristine condition 3 months ago... TWICE!
had the screen and buttons replaced. now she has smashed the screen again and has also lost a piece off the body!

... i think she could do with one of those!

Probably the same fate for mine too:doh: I've had it for 12 months now but quite honestly I just need a phone that's good at being a phone the ruggedised bit appeals due to currently working on construction of an electrical substation followed by a stint offshore. I just don't use the functions on the iPhone, I can't be bothered with it, the battery life is cr*p if you use anything on it, the 3g signal where I am bounces in and out like a bloo*y tennis ball so it's always searching, consequently it's switched off which sort of defeats the purpose a bit.:dk:

Had Blackberry for years and switched to an iphone4 6 months ago. The iphone handles my multiple business and personal email accounts with ease including exchange servers and a Lotus Notes account. I haven't missed the Blackberry at all in this regard. Battery life on the iphone is rubbish, but it'll keep going for a day and wireless connectivity leaves the Blackberry in the dark ages. So in my opinion a Blackberry will win on battery life and absolutely nothing else.

As they say on TV... If you haven't got an iphone :)

Had Blackberry for years and switched to an iphone4 6 months ago. The iphone handles my multiple business and personal email accounts with ease including exchange servers and a Lotus Notes account. I haven't missed the Blackberry at all in this regard. Battery life on the iphone is rubbish, but it'll keep going for a day and wireless connectivity leaves the Blackberry in the dark ages. So in my opinion a Blackberry will win on battery life and absolutely nothing else.

As they say on TV... If you haven't got an iphone :)

Tried it............not overly impressed. Great as a toy crap as a phone unless you carry the charger and have access to somewhere to plug it in. Construction sites and working offshore aren't great for that IME. :wallbash:

For work use, nothing beats a bberry as the touch screen only side of the Iphone annoys me to death.
Im not very patient and ill throw a phone at a wall if it doesnt do what I want it to...
The blackberry is still in one piece.

interesting conversation thread... obviously polarising... some folks swear by the iPhone; others swear at it. some think the blackberry is getting neanderthal; others love it.

i think on balance; the OP needs to try both. spend time with them in a shop.

maybe even agree a plan with a 14 day cooling off period when he does choose.

that way; he'll have the best opinion... HIS OWN :)

interesting conversation thread... obviously polarising... some folks swear by the iPhone; others swear at it. some think the blackberry is getting neanderthal; others love it.

i think on balance; the OP needs to try both. spend time with them in a shop.

maybe even agree a plan with a 14 day cooling off period when he does choose.

that way; he'll have the best opinion... HIS OWN :)

Sounds like a damn fine plan. My daughter, all her friends, my MIL even, all love the iPhone, but then they all work indoors with access to chargers etc. I can't comment on BB's as I have never owned one. As rascalmaster says the best way is to try for yourself just remember if you use it as Apple would like you to then the iphone will likely only see a maximum of a day per charge.:wallbash:

Having listened without prejudice (thanks George) to all your views I can add the following:

I currently have a Nokia 5800 ExpressMusic (though I didn't buy it for the music player).

It's a touchscreen only phone and has been the worst piece of kit I've ever owned - insensitive and complicated (cue the humour).

This was what made me think of the BB Torch because I do like proper buttons, however, I was hoping the iPhone 4 might be a better example of how touchscreens might perform.

I have managed without apps but, like many things, I'm sure once you've had them, etc.

So, that's where I'm coming from - any alternative suggestions gratefully received.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom