Blackberry Torch - the next iPhone killer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A-AvantGarde

MB Enthusiast
Car
2015 911 Turbo S, 2019 Volvo XC90 T5 Polestar Optimised
Just to confuse me even more and the responses to this other thread: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/pc-i-t-support-advice-posts/91206-apple-iphone-4-vs-htc-desire.html

Tried to get my wife an HTC Desire this evening, no stock locally. So got home tried a couple of places on-line, got side tracked and briefly got close to ordering her the iPhone 4 (the fact that that allows WiFi Skype calls was interesting - can't see that on Android yet), anyway I digress, I then came across this Blackberry announcment...

I think my Missus may be keeping her E71 for a little longer whilst we make up our minds...

BTW, how come any new touch screen phone is the next iPhone killer?

^ I'm in the same boat.

Current 18 month contract up on my E71, I bought Mrs A210 the Iphone 3GS about 3 months ago and its a great bit of kit. I'm tempted with the iphone 4 but in reality not sure.

The E71 is still a great 'business' phone and does everthing well. I'm also only paying £20 a month for 1400 text, 700 mins, unlimited internet from 02 as I said I was leaving to 3 last time I upgraded....

I don't really want to pay £35 a month now after only £20....

I've considered Tesco, as it uses 02 and its 'only' £350 on a 12 month £20 month contract...

I don't know....

At the end of the day the E71 is so easy to actually make a call and use ....

^ I'm in the same boat.
At the end of the day the E71 is so easy to actually make a call and use ....

True, but my Missus likes to browse the web on her phone + Facebook. I did install the Facebook app on her E71 but she prefers a bigger screen. She also thinks the E71 looks too business like. Women eh?

Samsung Galaxy S is deffo the way to go.

That's exactly what I thought when I started researching the options! Then my wife has other ideas, she said 'I don't like the Samsung brand / image' whatever that means. I seem to be going full circle on this...

Last edited:
^ Still its a lot of money to use facebook on... :)

I know been there, done that with my wife....

All she does is text and facebook on it :)

Don't think she's even installed any apps there all things I have downloaded.

How about a iphone 3Gs with the updated 4g software?

Should be some good prices now and bar the HD video and 5m camera in a case your hard pushed to tell the difference... then if she wants to make a call the 3Gs should also work :)

T... browse the web on her phone + Facebook...

I've got an iPhone 4. It's very good, the Facebook app is excellent, the browser (Safari) seems good and fast, but limited ref Flash support. You should imho probably at least give it a look, as well as the other recommended ones, to see which she / you prefer. Also got a Blackberry (Bold 9700), hopeless in comparison.

Last edited:
Should be some good prices now and bar the HD video and 5m camera in a case your hard pushed to tell the difference... then if she wants to make a call the 3Gs should also work :)

True, I thought that but then she wants a decent camera too. Can't please her really. A210AMG sounds like you got a really good deal on your tariff. We're paying £35 / month no idea how many minutes / how much web etc., however all I know is that unless we go abroad she never exceeds that. Happy to continue paying that but don't really want to pay any more.

I've got an iPhone 4. It's very good, the Facebook app is excellent, the browser (Safari) seems good and fast, but limited ref Flash support. You should imho probably at least give it a look, as well as the other recommended ones, to see which she / you prefer. Also got a Blackberry (Bold 9700), hopeless in comparison.

Something tells me as much as I think Android may be the way to go she may well very well end up with an iPhone 4 - it is starting to tick more boxes, luckily she doesn't need to use Flash on any websites ;)

Think we may go phone shopping again on Thursday or at the Weekend, she really needs to try them out...

True, I thought that but then she wants a decent camera too. Can't please her really. A210AMG sounds like you got a really good deal on your tariff. We're paying £35 / month no idea how many minutes / how much web etc., however all I know is that unless we go abroad she never exceeds that. Happy to continue paying that but don't really want to pay any more.

Something tells me as much as I think Android may be the way to go she may well very well end up with an iPhone 4 - it is starting to tick more boxes, luckily she doesn't need to use Flash on any websites ;)

Think we may go phone shopping again on Thursday or at the Weekend, she really needs to try them out...

As I said 'Samsung Galaxy S is deffo the way to go.' HD as well.

From what I have used and tried the interface / screen on te iphone is superb.

It is a nice bit of kit and 'more than just a phone'

Check out the tesco deal if it suits, I think its £350 for the phone then £20 a month BUT its only a 12 month contract.

I myself may fall into the apple net on my return from Holiday. As for the camera the 3gs is 2 or 3 mp but actually a very good one, rather than naff 5mp on other phones. What it does need though is a flash and the Iphone 4 does that.

Get the iphone then stop looking :)

What ever provider your currently with ring them up and ask for retentions, say your thinking of leaving for XYZ provider as they offer blah blah blah...then see what they offer you. Thats how I managed a £20 a month deal.

Get the iphone then stop looking :)

I'll get her a phone (still not sure which one though ;) ) then I will definitley stop looking!

What ever provider your currently with ring them up and ask for retentions, say your thinking of leaving for XYZ provider as they offer blah blah blah...then see what they offer you. Thats how I managed a £20 a month deal.

Good plan, but I think that if we decided to go for the iPhone 4 this would be very limited in terms of success (at present). It would definitely work well for any of the other handsets we've considered. She's been with o2 for about 5 years now and I was with o2 when they were Cellnet I'm still on the same number (even though they added a 7 to it.

got to love the iphone...

for all it's faults, it runs my life... from the music in the car, to controlling my computer... to providing music for my sets.

of course it's jailbroken, as a standard one is a little like having a ferrari limited to 70... you KNOW it can do 200... it just won't let you.. which takes alot of the fun out of owning it

The Blackberry Torch AFAIK is not available or going to be in the UK or Ireland. The link in the OP is to the Blackberry North American Site. That BB Torch is one ugly phone IMHO. Depends what you want out of a phone Blackberry for business no shadow of doubt based on the security of data alone. For personal use then its personal choice but the iPhone 4 is currrenlty a farce with all the problems it has on launch, will stick by my never buy version 1 of anything rule. I'm sure they will get it sorted and when they do it will be a nice piece of kit.

The Blackberry Torch AFAIK is not available or going to be in the UK or Ireland. The link in the OP is to the Blackberry North American Site. That BB Torch is one ugly phone IMHO. Depends what you want out of a phone Blackberry for business no shadow of doubt based on the security of data alone. For personal use then its personal choice but the iPhone 4 is currrenlty a farce with all the problems it has on launch, will stick by my never buy version 1 of anything rule. I'm sure they will get it sorted and when they do it will be a nice piece of kit.

True it's an American link I posted. AFAIK it's due in the UK shortly (US from Aug 12th). Vodafone UK have some information and a pre-order / expression of interest page too. https://blackberry.vodafone.co.uk/torch/

Torch is coming out over here.

Galaxy S, Desire and Wildfire are all about to go massively out of stock everywhere because Samsung (who make the OLED screens) ain't making them fast enough - so if you decide to go this route, do it quick.

Sorry about that our corporate people said it would not be available in the UK, obviously they were wrong.

Still think its an ugly phone though !

Torch is coming out over here.

Galaxy S, Desire and Wildfire are all about to go massively out of stock everywhere because Samsung (who make the OLED screens) ain't making them fast enough - so if you decide to go this route, do it quick.

HTC have switched to a new Sony Super LCD screen for the Desire because of the supply problem from Samsung

HTC have switched to a new Sony Super LCD screen for the Desire because of the supply problem from Samsung

Just ordered a Desire yesterday (currently out of stock) - doubt I'll get the Sony screen though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom