Blackie got banged!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGBlack

Car
E63S (Black)
Oh dear..

My CLK Blackseries got rear-ended a couple of weeks ago. :eek:

Some numpty in a BMW (had to be didnt it), jumped on his brakes to pick up a "friend" from the side of the road.... :wallbash:

I jumped on my brakes (I stopped)
Lady behind me jumped on her brakes (She stopped)
Man in white van. . didnt stop.. :confused:

Smacked into her, which in turn smacked into me.

First thoughts after the "bang" was. .. Hell, this is going to be expensive .. :crazy:

Visually very little damage, not even cracked numberplates on her car or the van. However after we exchanged details as its the damage underneath you cant see thats important, we all drove off and carried on.

In the calm afterwards, and away from the busy road I looked and saw some cracks in the carbon fibre and scuffs on the bumper. So I called the insurance company etc.

The service from Aviva has been better than 1st class. They arranged me to take the car to Mercedes Benz that same day, got me loan car (the best they had from Enterprise which was a Brand new CLS as this was the largest they did, so they could not match any better lol)..

So here I am almost 3 weeks later, still enjoying the CLS which has impressed me. . V6 51mpg?? and 2000 miles... wow.

So far new Carbon Def: £3,000
New Oil Cooler Rear: £1,500
new Exhaust (creased): Dunno
Bodywork and paint: Dunno
Fittings and bits: Dunno

So far the bill is around £12K.. and to think the van driver offered to pay cash .. you can guess what he said when the bills came through .. insurance!!! :eek:

Mercedes Benz Bristol bodyshop have been very good, I asked for them to re-spray the bonnet and front wings (chips) both rear wheel arches (chips) etc and the quoted me a very good £1800 for that. So the car will be spanking when I get it back.. ;)

So while the whole event has been a slight pain, the CLS, coupled with the excellent service from Aviva and Mercedes has made this whole event easier than it could have been.

Interesting how my insurance company ignored the lady in the car that hit me and went straight to the van man behind her.

I get her back Thursday .. :)

Sorry to hear this .

Same happened with me when i was in a queue for a roundabout , someone rear ended me , pushing me into the car in front and that car into the car in front of that.

The insurance companies went after the little boy in the 106 that hit me and started the chain of events.

Good luck to him getting insured after that ! lol

How's your neck? :thumb:

Sorry to hear of all of this, as long as you're alright and the car is being fixed up properly.

Always good when insurance companies work well, not so good when they insist on taking the car to a mass market bodyshop and have monkeys "repair" them.

On the other hand...my old dad tried three times to get into a parking space recently...hitting an Audi R8 each time. My mother called for my brother to meet them because the owner was a little irate (!!). Anyway, the thought was that the damage would be in the thousands...and dad offered to pay cash.

It cost...wait for it...£400 (4 hundred pounds)...result.

BTW We have now taken his car off him.

Weird how car insurance cost so much these days, slight knock becomes a £30k nightmare, still we all pay in the end.

And (touch wood) I've never had nor caused an accident therefore made any insurance claims... to put everyone elses premiums up.

Oh my god! :doh: Truly sickening news :(

Rob, I am so sorry to hear this bud :(

I reckon I would have tripped out and lost it! :eek: :mad:

Glad there wasn't too much damage.. but the costings don't surprise me at all :doh:

I hope you get it sorted out soon bud.

:thumb:

Good luck, you really wonder where the repair bill numbers come from don't you?

I'm surprised you weren't liberally dishing out 600psi punches! :D

My calculations lead me to understand that the initial theoretical impact would have been around 1800psi. The resultant loss of impact pressure (absorption) would have been reduced to around 480psi by the time your car became involved and that you could have then justified a 600psi punch, allowing for the 2nd law of thermodynamics which states that equilibrium almost always increases. I think that men in white vans are fully versed in the laws of thermodynamics and that this is generally grossly underestimated.

Laws of thermodynamics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi-Ho Silver (grade C physics O level, iPhone 4s)

Thanks for all the posts guys. .

I was very calm and I know these things happen, so I didnt lose it or dish out any 600psi thumps! . .

Mind you when I get moving, my bodymass might give the same effect as a whale hitting a sheep .. :rolleyes:

I didnt claim for whiplash even though I was a little stiff for a few days (trust me its the only thing that does get stiff nowadays!)...,
I dont agree with that claiming stuff to be honest. If its nothing worse than waking up with a stiff neck or when you slam your **** in the toilet seat, then why bother.. ..a serious one sure, but are we men or mouse :)

Rash, its a car .. not a matter of life and death haha. :p
Still the shunt did force or the uneaten crisp crumbs onto the floor. . cool

(Last comment designed to send Rash into fits and foaming)

;);)

My calculations lead me to understand that the initial theoretical impact would have been around 1800psi. The resultant loss of impact pressure (absorption) would have been reduced to around 480psi by the time your car became involved and that you could have then justified a 600psi punch, allowing for the 2nd law of thermodynamics which states that equilibrium almost always increases. I think that men in white vans are fully versed in the laws of thermodynamics and that this is generally grossly underestimated.

Laws of thermodynamics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi-Ho Silver (grade C physics O level, iPhone 4s)
Thanks for that amazing insight HHS! :D

So basically you're saying that the angle of the dangle is equal to the heat of the beat as long as the drip remains at constant 600psi. I see it now.

Camerafodder, BSc (Bronze Swimming Certificate)

Thanks for all the posts guys. .

I was very calm and I know these things happen, so I didnt lose it or dish out any 600psi thumps! . ."

On this basis, it's only a matter of time before a '600psi punch' club is formed. I'm going to get some badges made!

AMGBlack said:
The service from Aviva has been better than 1st class.
Just out of curiosity, would that be Aviva in its "native" form, or Aviva as in "Mercedes-Benz Insurance"?

"the OFT after a previous investigation concluded drivers were being overcharged. The OFT then gave interested parties until July to submit their views on a referral to the Competition Commission before it reached its final decision.

Among the evidence provided it discovered that, following an accident, insurers of not-at-fault drivers are adding on average £560 to the cost of a replacement car over a typical hire period.

At the same time they are also paying referral fees of up to £400 to credit hire organisations, the businesses that provide replacement vehicles to drivers involved in accidents. They may also receive a typical £155 in referral fees from repairers, paint suppliers and parts suppliers, with that money clawed back through higher repair charges.

The OFT also found that credit hire agreements tend to run for longer periods than direct hire arrangements, in some cases because the credit hire companies are deliberately delaying repairs.

All these costs are passed on to the insurance company of the at-fault driver, with the end result being an increase in car insurance premiums across the board for drivers."

I was expecting this to be another dogging thread...

I thought it was the title to a 70's blaxsploitation movie :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom