Blacking the black

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iyse

Car
Porsche Boxster
Is there any way to make the black trim of my W202 blacker, like the door handles and the B-pillar? They're sorta greying now, and when I wax the car, I want the black trim to stand out as much as the paintwork.

Get painted handles (~£100 for factory pre-painted) and sport faux-cf /elegance black gloss pillar trim (prices unknown right now but can be looked up). Simple mods and you'll not have to worry about them again ;)

Try using Autoglym bumper care. It's a green gel but brings all things black up like new.

Yes Autoglym bumper care is excellent. This is still my prefered option on vinyl/plastic.

I am experimenting with some 1Z vinyl and rubber care. This seems great on rubber and stuff that is already black but the Autoglym stuff does a great job on things that are graying/going white.

The 1Z stuff in theory should stop them getting to this gray/white condition in the first place.

Have you tried using "Back to Black"? It's a spray that is used to bring back the black look out of oldish dry looking plastics, including bumpers.

This stuff is pretty good if used often enough.

It isn't one where you can just spray and it will be fine forever, but continual used every now and then and it will make it look much better.

I think you can probably grab a can from Halfords.

Hope this helps mate :eek:

abbos said:
This stuff is pretty good if used often enough.
It is, but it vanishes very quickly :)
Prolly cheaper in the long run to have the black plastic bits painted black by a bodyshop! ;)

Shude said:
I think you just answered your own question there :)

I just made up the price. :) Was wondering if there was anything around that price that could do that job rather than replacement parts. Turns out there is. :)

Iyse said:
I just made up the price. :) Was wondering if there was anything around that price that could do that job rather than replacement parts. Turns out there is. :)

I'm with Shude on this issue. You get what you pay for. Of course you can spray the B-pillar for £9-99p, even £20-99p.

If your car lives outside, exposed to the sun's rays then a cheap spray job will soon fade, or bleach. At the end of the day it is down to personal choice and what YOU are happy with.

I just believe that if you do a job\modification, then do it properly, or don't bother.

Good luck with the decision,
John

Last edited:
My neighbour wipes his plastic bumpers and overriders with WD40 and swears it keeps them black. Sure seems to work on his wifes VW. ;)

We have had this debate before. Did not some questionable deviant claim to use Peanut Butter?

Satch said:
We have had this debate before. Did not some questionable deviant claim to use Peanut Butter?
please follow the link I just posted :)

Shude said:
please follow the link I just posted :)

:D :) I've read it. I can just imagine our rsident squirrels attacking these plastic bumpers with there assorted cooking oils, peanut butter, and marmite smeared delicacies. I would have thought that any oil based solution will give a short term shine, be it engine oil or car wax. ;)

Good reading though, and hopefully car bumpers are not allergic to peanuts!

John

Iyse said:
Is there any way to make the black trim of my W202 blacker, like the door handles and the B-pillar? They're sorta greying now, and when I wax the car, I want the black trim to stand out as much as the paintwork.

Iyse.

I would have thought that anything (apart from painting) that you put on your door handles would transfer straight away to your hands :eek: , and subsequent surfaces, steering wheel?, shift lever?. For the rest?, Autoglym rubber and vynil care. Its a white or cream liquid and dries matte. Nothing against gels but they either dont dry properly and / or leave pronounced ridges.

Porzy

Meguiars Final Detail is the best stuff to finish your car. Spray it on everything (except windows). It brings black trim up beautifully and gives a good glossy finish to paintwork as well.
I've tried hundreds of products and this is THE BEST

Shude said:
Get painted handles (~£100 for factory pre-painted) and sport faux-cf /elegance black gloss pillar trim (prices unknown right now but can be looked up). Simple mods and you'll not have to worry about them again ;)

Shude and Iyse, I'm having that EXACT problem. I have been looking at other mercs and thinking, "Ok, what is it that makes them seem newer?" I have cornered it to the b-pillar looking nice and black and shiny instead of dull and greyish. I'm guessing the factory coloured door handles are coded to the colour, so I'll ask my mb people for those, ... but do you have codes for the pre-facelift W202 on the b-pillars?

Also, how difficult would it be to install these? Think I can manage hopping on one foot with only one arm?
Michele

Shude said:
Ohh!!! Heres a nana :bannana: ! or two! :bannana: :bannana:
Thanks! Now I don't need to look like an idiot at the garage ("uhm, yeah, IIm lokign for coloured handly thinggs:p")
Michele

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom