Blackvue & ODB Power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fredfox

Car
C 2018
I used to have a blackvue dashcam that ran for 4 years, which worked out on average of 50 minute a day (over the 4 years) before it died. I replaced it with a "cheap" cam that never was as good quality wise either at day or night.

I finally decided on getting another Blackvue but I wasn't looking forward to messing around with hard-wiring it again, and then I found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FM1DTTV/?tag=amazon0e9db-21 Which plugs straight into the ODB port, turns the camera on when I start the car and turns off about 2 minutes after stopping the car. I've not tried the Parking Mode, but I've never used it on any camera I've had before, I may try it when I'm at home next. It keeps running when start / stop kicks in as well.

I'll find out how well it works over the next couple of weeks but it's looking quite promising!

Hi there, I tried the blackvue ODB2 connector on my w222 sclass earlier this year when installing the DR900s 2CH (front & rear)

It never worked as expected, when I flipped the switch to constant off it never powered down so I could never turn it off parking mode it was always on. I know you could pull the wire out of the camera but doing this constantly could damage the camera. I wanted parking mode but only when I was parking away from home, so when I park it in my garage at home I wanted turn it off.

I worked with Blackvue in Korea for over a month, they sent me 3 different ODB2 connectors but in the end they couldnt get it to shutdown using the manual switch.

So I decided on a different solution, a separate blackvue battery mounted in the boot which plugged directly into the 12volt connection on the boot. I added a switch under the dash on the drivers side where I can manually turn off the camera when I dont want it recording like parked in my garage.

Hi there, I tried the blackvue ODB2 connector on my w222 sclass earlier this year when installing the DR900s 2CH (front & rear)
Was that the Blackvue one with the dipswitches ?

I would've gone with hardwired if I'd had those issues, the battery is really expensive, up to almost £300 vs. about £30 for the magic pro :)

Was that the Blackvue one with the dipswitches ?

I would've gone with hardwired if I'd had those issues, the battery is really expensive, up to almost £300 vs. about £30 for the magic pro :)

Yes the one with the dipswitches... this one https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-ez/

Blackvue support in Korea were helpful (sent 3 power magic ez's to me by DHL) but in the end they agreed it wasnt compatible with my sclass and they sent me the B112 battery pack free of charge.

The B112 is 159.00 USD
The B124X is 359.99 USD

I honestly didnt like the idea of hard wiring it so went for the battery pack in the end. Read on other forums that some dealerships (not Mercedes) are pointing out that a hardwired dashcam voids the warranty as its piggy backing on existing fuses.

Another thing ive experienced, some Mercedes dealerships dont want the camera recording while the car is in their workshop. I respect that as I know I wouldnt like a camera on me while im in the office. Once i forgot to turn it off and the lens was covered with black tape.

Read on other forums that some dealerships (not Mercedes) are pointing out that a hardwired dashcam voids the warranty as its piggy backing on existing fuses.

That really is desperate. Any idiot with an ounce of basic electrical knowledge knows that those piggy back connectors are fine and have zero impact on the original fuse.

It never worked as expected, when I flipped the switch to constant off it never powered down so I could never turn it off parking mode it was always on. I know you could pull the wire out of the camera but doing this constantly could damage the camera. I wanted parking mode but only when I was parking away from home, so when I park it in my garage at home I wanted turn it off.

I worked with Blackvue in Korea for over a month, they sent me 3 different ODB2 connectors but in the end they couldnt get it to shutdown using the manual switch.

So I decided on a different solution, a separate blackvue battery mounted in the boot which plugged directly into the 12volt connection on the boot. I added a switch under the dash on the drivers side where I can manually turn off the camera when I dont want it recording like parked in my garage.
I’m sure to can disable parking mode via the software on blackvue cameras.

I’m sure to can disable parking mode via the software on blackvue cameras.

Yes you can.

1. Login to the BlackVue app.

2. Select BLACKVUE CLOUD.

3. Tap next to your camera name and select Camera settings > Firmware settings >

Basic settings > Recording settings. You can turn off/on Auto switching to Parking Mode.

4. Go back to the Firmware settings menu, tap and tap Save and close.

Some cheaper cameras have different selectable power down periods with piggy back hardwire.

You can also put in a switch too .

You never want a camera to switch off in a supermarket car park .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom