Blanking radiator grill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Erfan

SUPPORTER
Car
W211 E220 CDI Avantgarde '08
Is normal cooking foil ok to do the above or would the slightly padded foil you put behind domestic radiators be more suitable? Thanks

I have used an alloy blanking plate over the rad on the JZR, which has a very simple thermostat, no computers or any sophistication, but I wouldn't want to risk errors or worse on a modern car, they are designed to run efficiently "out of the box", are they not?

So my answer to your question would be, for an older, n/asp car with carbs, Use either, but for a more modern car with injection, ECUs etc, use neither.

But see my sig!

Last edited:
In the severe cold which we haven't had in the last few years i have always used kitchen foil on many different cars. the last time was on my mondeo v6 when we had all the snow and freezing conditions. I think the thermostat was a little suspect though and car never got up to temperature. Cheers, Tony.

Blanking is worthwhile as it stops the engine being over-cooled by the cold air rushing into the engine bay.

Thanks for replies - my daily commute is 3 miles and it takes half the journey to get up to temp (gauge sits at just under 80). My concern was that cooking foil is very thin and could get ripped / displaced by the air rushing onto it (hence the "radiator foil" alternative).

Anyone who has done this - does it cause overheating on motorway runs / heavy traffic and do you leave on in summer?

Thanks

Most of my grille as been blocked off using plastic for the last...six or seven years. I removed the viscous fan as well.

It's not overheated yet...

Thanks will try try and do tomorrow in between the showers!

Put on the foil replacement but have to admit I was not happy with the way it looked. Will look for some black coloured material to use ..... but at least I have a template now!!

I noticed the 2 plastic pins that hold the grill to the body are not the best - does anyone have a part number for them and where I can get them from?

Thanks

Your local dealer will sell the fasteners.

I used the side of a plastic barrel painted black.

Thanks. I think I will be barrel hunting!

Dieselman, I was going to remove my fan too tomorrow, does it effect the fan clutch at all? :D

I cut a rubber car mat to shape the front of the rad and had a bit in front of the fan, but was frightened it would come lose and hit it :thumb:

My temp comes up nice with the above mods and sits at 80o, toasty :p

Is it possible to just pull out a fuse for the fan so that you do not have to remove the blades?

If it's electric, not viscous driven.

Is normal cooking foil ok to do the above or would the slightly padded foil you put behind domestic radiators be more suitable? Thanks

Sounds a bit daft, but go to Costco and get their big roll of foil designed for businesses. It's much thicker than the domestic stuff you find in supermarkets, as well as being wider so might stand up a bit more.

PFS parts Ltd sell Mercedes anthracite trim fasteners for 90p each, their part no: pfm905061

You might want to look at ecomodders.com - a bunch of people doing modifications for better fuel economy, from your grille block to full boat tails. The grille block also improved mpg due to reduced air resistance / lower cd. Consider blocking the lower grille bits that are fog lights on some models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom