Bleach my drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
E 400 Coupe and X-Trail
Hi

No , not a pimp my ride type thread, but help needed

I have a recently laid drive with a tarmac top

A few weeks ago I noticed a trail of liquid about 2 foot or so on it, possibly sourced from the nsf wheel arch of the merc.

Thought it was condensation / water running off.

It wasn't, it has bleached the tarmac (nice!)

If hasn't worn off in the rain, nor has light cleaning (fairy liquid / drive way cleaner) shifted it

To start one third down the drive, it probably did come from the car, probably hydraulic fluid - or brake fluid what else could it be?

Levels on the car are fine, it was only a small amount and everything works as it should, No cleaning products used that would do that (poss wonder wheels, but am very careful to wash that away with lots of water)

Anybody got recommendations how to rid the drive of the light grey streak in it. Paint, tar brush, heating it up (eek!)

Any and all advice appreciated

Thanks

It sounds like wonder wheels. I spilled some on my driveway & it left a greyish mark on the tar.

Russ

My guess is that it's simply air-conditioning condensate runoff, so perhaps the part of worrying about the car can be allayed.
As for refurbishing the paving's cosmetics, I'd expect it'll blend as the rest of it weathers. I can't think of a touch-up other than a light mist of flat spray paint.

My guess is that it's simply air-conditioning condensate runoff, so perhaps the part of worrying about the car can be allayed.
As for refurbishing the paving's cosmetics, I'd expect it'll blend as the rest of it weathers. I can't think of a touch-up other than a light mist of flat spray paint.
paint it black:D

Paint it with bitumastic paint. That's what tarmac is, bitumen and stones.

That would be water then, how would that stain tar?

Russ

My initial thoughts and I agree, it can't have been

Cheers for the suggestions - will have a think and have a go with something

Fabes

Try Thompson's Drive Seal, about £12.00 per 4.5l. You can get it from B&Q in black or grey, (who would want grey I dont know), or Wickes do their own version but Thompsons is best. Its made especially for this type of thing but it recommends waiting about 90 days before you treat newly laid tarmac.

Its very watery but you have to give it a good stir though to mix all the ingredients in the bottom, then apply it with a roller and a big paint tray. I bought several cheap rollers because they wear out quite quickly. Pick a warm sunny day, (yep, I know!), and give it at least a couple of coats, drys completely in about four hours.

Dont use bitumen paint, or at least on any parts that will drive on because it never completely dries hard + if you use too much it will re-invigorate the tar within the mixture and soften your drive.

I've used this stuff for many years and it keeps your drive looking like new and it actually fills in the gaps between the aggregates giving you a nice smooth finish after time.

HTH.

Portzy.

Last edited:
Very sharp !

Didn't get it myself until Peter pointed it out .... ;)

It's an age thing..

I'm pleased to say it passed me by..

I did too, but decided to keep it quiet.......so I'll let you take the Fogey accolade:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom