Blessed A303

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ordessa

Car
B class
..so what is it with drivers going Westbound on the A303 past Stonehenge...?
It hasnt moved in 1000s of years - so why the HE*L do I have to sit behind you all at stop/start/5mph for the visible part of the road....EVERYTIME!

Rant over:!

Driver in front of me managed to drive off the road almost into the ditch while craning to see the stones!
As you say, every time it's the same ...

It's a Wiltshire thing, lots of ancient monuments for people to gawp it. They do exactly the same at Avebury, Kennet Long Barrow & Silbury Hill, dawdling gormlessly, wandering across the road or stopping in the middle to try and find a parking space.

Both KLB and SH are on NSL stretches of the A4, and the latter is situated next to a blind mid-corner crest which certainly adds a frisson of excitement to proceedings.

Last edited:
Forget the monument gawping, why's there always a tin tent on its side blocking half the A303 every weekend during the summer?

I was under the impression a tunnel was to be built underneath to assist traffic meaning tourists can use the road above ground to get closer.

I was under the impression a tunnel was to be built underneath to assist traffic meaning tourists can use the road above ground to get closer.
I think the tunnel was so they could do away with the road so close to the stones.

Yep, a pile of rubble and people always slow down - ITS GOING NOWHERE!
(stuck there after leaving Thruxton a few weeks back)

I think the tunnel was so they could do away with the road so close to the stones.

They'll have to make some provision for visitors I would have thought.

Maybe that will be further away and they will have to walk further.

I quite often drive through there, east bound never been much of a problem (might be the time of day) but west bound just at the top of the hill where it drops from 2 lane dual carriage to single lane can be a bit thick and creamy at times, probably has more to do with people not merging in turn than the monument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom