Blind Spot Assist Inoperative

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbenz76

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 AMG Night Edition Premium Plus Saloon
On the way home last night I got the Blind Spot Assist Inoperative message on the display.

This stayed on for about 5 minutes which was the remainder of my journey. I then turned the engine off and removed the key before I started the engine up again. The yellow triangles in the mirrors came on for about 10 seconds and then turned red before they went off completely and the message came back.

Same thing this morning and I can repeat it every time I turn engine on.

Is this a dealer visit (I have Tier 1 extended warranty so not concerned about cost) or is there anything I can try to reset the system and save me the hassle of a dealer visit?

Not sure if it makes a difference but the car is filthy! Probably the dirtiest it has been since I owned it. Lots if general road dirt and salt.

Thanks in advance.

My Driving Assist package (which includes Blind Spot Assist) shut down twice on one journey.

Once is dense snow and once in dense fog, because the sensors couldn't sense - perhaps, being so dirty, yours is doing the same.

Get those buckets out :thumb:.

I had one in recently. It was the radar control unit that was the fault. Easy to diagnose by plugging in.

It's worth giving the car a clean first to see if that's the root of the problem. Otherwise as Olly says, it's a dealer job.

I have had occasional failues on the adaptive lights and the lane keeping assist. They always reset after engine off/on. I did have dealer look at lake keeping assist going inoperative but it was working when they saw it and no fault was found.

Could these all be related? I just put them down to glitches and they were infrequent.

I have also used my tow bar extensively about 2 weeks ago to tow a trailer as I moved house. I know this automatically disabled the blind spot assist as it is the factory fit folding tow bar. I wonder if that has thrown a sensor out if whack maybe.

I will clean car within an inch of it's life later this week and see if that improves things but not holding much hope.

As I said, car is under MB extended warranty so repair should be free if faulty as I cannot see any of this being down to wear and tear parts.

As stated above, I also had a couple of quirks over the last 115k, these either cleared of their own accord or were resolved by cleaning.

Had one of the door sensors fail which resulted in the blind spot assist inoperative message. As suggested, I cleaned the car first to see if it resolved the issue to no avail. Sensor in offside rear door had failed and was replaced under warranty by MB.

Hope you get it sorted, I think the distronic plus is a fantastic system and am perplexed why more vehicles, in particular trucks, don't have these systems fitted as standard. A number of recent public and tragic incidents could have been prevented for the sake of technology available for less than £2k!

Regards, Neil

Cleaning the car made no difference so off to dealer I guess!

What is the most likely cause?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom