Bling Bling Mirrors :-D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sym

MB Enthusiast
Car
W204 C220CDI Sport
Thanks to MBenzNL for supplying me with the blinking mirrors . . . fitted them at the GTG yesterday, but hadn't wired up the blinking until today :

Fairly straightforward job, as long as you can

1) Identify the wires running from the rear turn signal lights on each side in the cable runs underneath the front door kickplates, and find grounding points / ground wires on each side.

2) Remove your door-cards to run the wires through to the mirrors (Thanks to Shude for his step-by-step instructions on this one - I managed to do it without breaking any clips, although the grab handle clips both broke at the bottom due to brittle plastic disease, I think - wasn't too traumatic to fix them though.)

3) Use a soldering iron !

I can post some more detailed pics of the install if anybody is interested, but the result is as follows :-

bling2640.jpg

bling1640.jpg

:bannana: :bannana:

welcome to the bling bling crew ;)

PS still have a silver set for sale if anyones interested!

Be interested to know how you get it to connect to the indicators mate.

Originally posted by Brian WH
Be interested to know how you get it to connect to the indicators mate.

Two wires from each mirror.

Remove Mirrors by folding in fully, unclipping mirror housing, and then unscrewing 3 screws. Unclip electrical connectors.

Baaaayscially ..... you first look at the rear lamp cluster, and work out which colour wire goes to each of the turn signal lights at the back .... in my case black & white on the left, and black & green on the right.

Then you pull the front door sills off, and un-clip the black cable run covers - 3 or 4 different sized ones.

You can then see the wiring loom underneath - with about 50 different wires running the length of the car ! Locate the colours above on each side, (may be different for other cars) and use a multi-meter with the blinkers on to check them. (If no multimeter, cut them, and to make sure you have the correct wire (hehe), turn on side indicators - they should flash very fast, and the rear one will not operate.

Strip back a section of the insulation on the wires you have cut / tested.

Solder the 12V blinker wire from each of the mirrors to the coloured one, as above, and connect the other one to ground. Insulate well with tape. There is a convenient grounding point on the drivers side, and I had to tap into a ground wire on the passenger side - they are generally coloured brown.

Remove both side footwell panels (one screw behind cover) to gain access to door cable entry point.

Remove door cards, as per Shude's instructions

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2381

, and feed wire through rubber door connector, and then up through hole in the door to mirror location. I used twin core wire to make this job a bit easier as it was quite fiddly tricky job and the twin-core was able to be directed a bit more !

NB - if you already have the door courtesy lights fitted (like me!) then be careful not to pull the doorcard away from the door too quickly, or you will damage the wires - you should be able to stand the door card up against the door with no problems

Solder appropriate wires to correct connection points on mirror (I need to make this removable with a plug at some point as there were not enough pins in the connector supplied. Insulate well.

Re-assemble in reverse order, test them, and pray that they blink ! (They did - first time, so I was pretty chuffed !!)

S.

Last edited:
Brilliant job Sym. Have a couple of bananas.

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Well done Sym,

Looks like they were there from new :D Are you going to go the whole hog and get the side repeaters removed from the front wings like Shude did with his?

S.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
Well done Sym,

Looks like they were there from new :D Are you going to go the whole hog and get the side repeaters removed from the front wings like Shude did with his?

S.

I don't think I'll go that far ! If my car were any other colour, then maybe - yes, but I don't think the side repeaters are too obvious on the silver cars (one advantage of silver !!) - I think they look pretty good as they are !!

S.

You should have folded the mirrors for the blinking picture ;) ...show off all gadgets you have :D ...

greetingz,

Originally posted by sym
I don't think I'll go that far ! If my car were any other colour, then maybe - yes, but I don't think the side repeaters are too obvious on the silver cars (one advantage of silver !!) - I think they look pretty good as they are !!
They're only hidden until you actually indicate! Get rid of them! :D

the bulbs are painted silver anyway - will just wait until they die, and then not replace them ... lol. :D

S.

**EDIT - how much to get rid of them, do you reckon ?:devil: :devil: **

Last edited:
How much do these blinking mirrors cost ? My mate runs a bodyshop so wouldnt be a problem painting them if need be. Looks like a cool mod.

.....speak to MBenzNL - he may also be able to sell you just the painted covers in the colour that you need - but can probably supply the whole units in whatever colour you want. The shells are not much good without the rest of the mirror assembly as the blinking set-up is in the lens, and in the main assembly wiring.

You are looking at 400 euros for a power-folding set like mine - slightly less for non-folding.

S.

Last edited:
Originally posted by sym
the bulbs are painted silver anyway - will just wait until they die, and then not replace them ...

Aren't the side bulbs part of the blown bulb circuit? i.e. if they blow and you don't replace them won't your "failed light" illuminate on the dash and the indicators blink on epileptic fit mode?

S.

p.s. good idea to paint them silver :D

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
Aren't the side bulbs part of the blown bulb circuit? i.e. if they blow and you don't replace them won't your "failed light" illuminate on the dash and the indicators blink on epileptic fit mode?

S.

p.s. good idea to paint them silver :D

hmm - good point steve - I hadn't thought of that.

Well if they are, then I'll just pull the bulb failure light out of the instrument cluster ...lol !!

(just kidding!)

S.

you could put an inline resistor to trick the bulb blown circuit.

Beware , ive heard these get reallly warm

Originally posted by fuzzer
you could put an inline resistor to trick the bulb blown circuit.

Beware , ive heard these get reallly warm

I've heard the same, the load equaliser (resistors) also go a little way to negate the power savings that replacement LED bulbs give.

Da.mn shame you can't reprogram the ECU to igonore blown bulbs :devil:

S.

the consumption of the side bulbs is so small that the system won't notice if the bulb is missing or blown. Don't forget the w202 was available without side indicators at all in other countries (I have the part numbers here for the wings without indicator holes! :) ).

Originally posted by Shude
the consumption of the side bulbs is so small that the system won't notice if the bulb is missing or blown. Don't forget the w202 was available without side indicators at all in other countries (I have the part numbers here for the wings without indicator holes! :) ).

Was hoping that you would have the answer ... having been there & done that !!

Don't you dare give me those part numbers ;) ;) :devil:

(are they exbenzive ??) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom