Blinking foglights on Skodas and Seats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alistairgd

Car
C180 AMG Sport Plus
What's the deal with the foglights/driving lights on Skodas and Seats that only one side lights up when going around a bend?

I really hope my C-Class isn't doing that as it seems utterly pointless to me.

Can anyone explain what the idea is behind that?

They illuminate round corners when turning.

Mercedes were the first manufacturer to use them.

They illuminate round corners when turning.

Yeh that's kind if my point - they don't. A small light at the bottom corner at the front lends absolutely nothing over headlamps to visibility going round a bend. I'm not talking about headlamps that aim around corners, that's cool, I'm talking about these small lights that come on when going round a bend the turn off again, even in daylight.

... I'm not talking about headlamps that aim around corners, that's cool, ...

Indeed - I remember a friend of my father who had a Citroen DS with this feature in the seventies... cool does not begin to describe it :)

I had cornering foglights on my 203 and found them very useful. Especially when manouvering in dimly lit car parks. They certainly did throw light into the turn very efficiently.

my 211 has this; i quite like it :)
... can be turned off from the in dash menu...

alistairgd said:
Yeh that's kind if my point - they don't. A small light at the bottom corner at the front lends absolutely nothing over headlamps to visibility going round a bend. I'm not talking about headlamps that aim around corners, that's cool, I'm talking about these small lights that come on when going round a bend the turn off again, even in daylight.

By that train of thought you would think fog lights are also pointless? You will probably find more use as the driver rather than an external observer.

They serve a secondary purpose - they alert pedestrians of a car turning in their direction where indicators may not be relevant...

The actually cornering light light has a different lens to a standard fog light (which of course are in the same physical position) to light the curb area.

Yes, in certain situations they do help so are worth having, particularly when its properly dark (i.e no street lights) and I hadn't even thought that they are useful to other road users.

When they first came out (some years ago) occasionally people would say "one of your fog lights is broken", but haven't had anyone comment for some years now so I guess everyone is now used to seeing them. I have seen lots of different "non Mercedes" cars do them now, although not considered if they are all VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda ..

Richard

p.s they only operate at low speeds. If you want lights that move like the old Citroen DS, you need the 'Intelligent Lighting System' headlights that started on the S class :)

By that train of thought you would think fog lights are also pointless? You will probably find more use as the driver rather than an external observer.

Front fog lights are pointless. True fog lights (rare) are designed to light the kerb to help guide the driver in proper pea-soupers (rare), with the dipped beams off to avoid glare. If you can safely drive at more than jogging pace, you don't need front fog lights.

Most cars' front fog lights are styling items to appeal to people who think it's cool to drive around with them on, in contravention of HC 236 and its underlying Acts.

All these people driving at normal speeds in light mist with fogs on (front and/or rear) are idiots causing additional glare. If you're tempted to turn your rear fog lights on, ask yourself if the distance you can see cars without them on is being impeded by fog. If not, leave them off. Also, if you're being followed, turn your rear fogs off.

Rant over. I feel much better now.

On subject, I had my cornering fog lamp function turned off.

Last edited:
Front fog lights are pointless. True fog lights (rare) are designed to light the kerb to help guide the driver in proper pea-soupers (rare), with the dipped beams off to avoid glare. If you can safely drive at more than jogging pace, you don't need front fog lights.

Most cars' front fog lights are styling items to appeal to people who think it's cool to drive around with them on, in contravention of HC 236 and its underlying Acts.

All these people driving at normal speeds in light mist with fogs on (front and/or rear) are idiots causing additional glare. If you're tempted to turn your fog lights on, ask yourself if the distance you can see cars without them on is being impeded by fog. If not, leave them off. Also, if you're being followed, turn your rear fogs off.

Rant over. I feel much better now.

On subject, I had my cornering fog lamp function turned off.

OK not 100% sure what you are saying here but it seems like fog lights do have a purpose when used correctly :dk:

OK not 100% sure what you are saying here but it seems like fog lights do have a purpose when used correctly :dk:

Rears, not fronts.

If find the cornering lights do work and are very useful - when in an area that's poorly lit, as mentioned.

As for fog lights, I am pretty sure they do serve a purpose.
Front fogs are mostly for the driver's benefit and the rear ones are for people driving behind you to see from greater distances in thick fog. Seems stupid writing this because it's pretty obvious.

I have driven in thick fog before and if it wasn't for the car in front's rear fog lights, I wouldn't have been able to see him until they were a lot closer.

Rear fogs also benefit stopping distances.

:thumb:

The actually cornering light light has a different lens to a standard fog light (which of course are in the same physical position) to light the curb area.

Yes, in certain situations they do help so are worth having, particularly when its properly dark (i.e no street lights) and I hadn't even thought that they are useful to other road users.

When they first came out (some years ago) occasionally people would say "one of your fog lights is broken", but haven't had anyone comment for some years now so I guess everyone is now used to seeing them. I have seen lots of different "non Mercedes" cars do them now, although not considered if they are all VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda ..

Richard

p.s they only operate at low speeds. If you want lights that move like the old Citroen DS, you need the 'Intelligent Lighting System' headlights that started on the S class :)

I have "Active Curve" function on the CLS that moves the dipped beam with steering movements. A bit disconcerting at first as it seemed as though the car was over-steering!
TBH it's not as "illuminating" as the Cornering foglight function ...

I had ILS on my C Class so got both.

The beam moved with the steering wheel plus it had the additional cornering lights that worked at low speed.

Certainly driving around town etc, they really did make a difference. Indeed I would go as far as to say that the lights on my C Class were the best lights I have ever experienced in any car.

I'm often driving on small un-lit roads, with no cat's eyes and often no white lines.

In winter I'm very glad to have fog lights and the cornering function. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom